Unreal Tournament III

tkam

So I bought this a few days ago, I've been a big fan of whole Unreal series since the original UT came out. I'm happy to say that UT3 continues to have the same fast paced action and absolutely killer graphics as the previous iterations of it have. The Warfare game mode is pretty badass as well.

Unfortunately the menu design absolutely blows. It looks like it was put together by a 5th grader and was clearly done so that it would play well with consoles. They are apparently going to fix this in a future patch so I'll be keeping an eye out of that.

As I mentioned the graphics are really fantastic, the environment and character textures are well done and very detailed. But I think what I like best about the graphics is the details on the weapons it's truly remarkable.

The Unreal Tournament games have been the only games I've seriously played over the past 6 years. I remember the good old clan days of the original UT. UT2 (2k3/2k4) were very fun games (so many modes, each mode so very fun) but I wasn't as interested in the competitive play there. Now UT3 has gone back to the style of play of the original UT, and I'm loving the competitive play (has the same feel as the original). Unfortunately I can only run the game smoothly on medium settings. It looks absolutely phenomenal on maxed out settings however.

The menus? Definitely worse than what 5th graders can do. I don't know what they were thinking at all.

I'll have to check that out. I've been too into WoW and had no idea that it's anywhere close to being finished.

I used to be a very serious competitive Quake 3 player back in the day (OSP 1v1 and TDM) and since those days I haven't seen a single competitive shooter worth a damn. Everything is that "realistic" crap that has little gameplay depth other than teamwork and completely limits a good player's ability to shine. Hopefully this will put some action back into the genre - IF it's up to par. I always thought the original UT had great potential but was limited by a sloppy physics engine. If this is UT but with better physics, it may well be awesome.

Still, Q3 strafejumping > UT dodging. There's something about Q3 movement that's utterly addictive. Too bad Q4 sucked such major ass.

UTIII is coming out for the xbox 360. Seriously, don't buy a PS3 unless you REALLY want a specific game. I own both a 360 and PS3 but have only enjoyed one ps3 exlusive (resistance). I know that in time there will be more and better PS3 exclusives but that might not be fore another year or two and by then the PS3 may be even cheaper.