For the single-driver speaker fans...

tkam

...those are on my Fostex 166E's I have in a full range BLH arrangement and they fill out the mids and uppers very nicely seemingly adding detail and texture. The Seas have a great reputation though I have not heard them that I am aware of in a full range setting.... I would welcome the opportunity to do so some time.

My cicada drivers arrived today so we'll see how my first foray into speaker building goes but these could present an interesting second option.

Excellent choice - what cabs are you putting them in? The original cicada cabs or something else? I remember hearing the original cicada cabs were not the ideal cab to make those drivers sound the best, FYI. There are other options like a back horn loaded option that would probably give you more full and lower bass. The midrange though on those drivers is one of the most organic luscious things you will ever hear.

Where did you get cicada drivers?

I've got friends in low places? Seriously though, it just sort of happened and I wasn't even really looking at the time but when they became available I snapped them up. Actually, there was a pair on Audiogon the week before Xmas as well but they're gone now.

Excellent choice - what cabs are you putting them in? The original cicada cabs or something else? I remember hearing the original cicada cabs were not the ideal cab to make those drivers sound the best, FYI. There are other options like a back horn loaded option that would probably give you more full and lower bass. The midrange though on those drivers is one of the most organic luscious things you will ever hear.

Thanks for the comments Ryan, I've been exploring cabinet options and haven't made a final decision yet. Whatever it is I'll be building it so I can always change it if I'm not satisfied with the results.

I would be really interested in your experience with the single driver build. My journey took a lot longer and exceeded my budget but I am pretty satisfied with the end result. If you get your build ratios correct and place the finished cabinets near the corners of your listening room you will be quite impressed with the lower order bass definition you can achieve. Good luck and please keep me/us posted.