Anyone willing to make a Xhadow XLR chassis mount for me ?

Spiug31

Anyone willing to make a Xhadow XLR chassis mount for me ?

I am thinking of an aluminium plate (the depth of a gender modules' thread), A threaded tunnel in its? centre to accept the gender module and two or more bolt/screw holes near the edge to allow attachment to a chassis.

a disassembled XLR connector is shown http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/images/zoom/601_2.jpg the shiny piece with the white core and gold screws in the back of it is a gender module.

If anyone spots a design flaw please point it out.

I?ve e-mailed Chris Sommovigo at Xhadow and the edited highlights of his reply were :

While we have not yet developed the XLR chassis mount connector, they were designed as "gender modules" - essentially the male and female ends use the same O.D. and thread-pitch to mount into a common barrel.

What we do not have is an appropriate nut to match the XLR's O.D. and thread pitch. That would be your only challenge, because cables can often times deliver tremendous strain on chassis-mount connectors.

I?d like to get 4 of these mounts so I can have Xhadow XLR connectors for the balanced input and balanced headphone output of an amp.

The reason I am thinking of Aluminium is that it's non-magnetic, brass or something other with this characteristic and enough strength for purpose could also be acceptable.

I am holding off buying the Xhadow connectors until I know where (which tax zone) I need to send the connectors for proof of concept. From what I can gather the bore for the gender module looks likely to be between 16mm-19mm, I am unsure of its' thread count or pitch.

All help appreciated and constructive criticism too :)

That is an awful lot of work for what is basically a Vampire socket (Vampire makes the Xhadows). There are also the Furutech's to consider even if they are horribly expensive.

The materials are greatly different. teflon, OFC copper, pure silver and a strong grip for the Xhadow - delrin, copper alloy, gold (and I suspect less of a firm grip) for Vampire - phosphor bronze, teflon and gold for Furutech. Only the Xhadow design seems to use pure copper and teflon with a strong contact grip.

you could just make an entire panel at FPE to accommodate the connectors, or are you looking to retrofit and existing project?

I hadn't realised FPE did threaded holes, thanks for the tip :)

Cost seems low, design program intuitive and I can get the panel shipped to me so I can be sure it fits :dance:

Little projects like this help me keep my mind agile O0

But then you'd have to find connectors that fits just right, or make bigger holes.

I'll work out those options once I've measured the gender modules. Worst case scenario is several years from now I'll sell the amp and that person buying will get a great deal on the connectors ;).

That I can live with :angel:

you could get creative and do a standard neutrik cutout and then make a small piece that the jack screws in and then rear mount that and use the two holes in the neutrik cutout to secure the adapter. If you go this way, have FPE make a ton of the adapters and sell 'em. You can panelize the thing and add some scoring marks to break them out.

How much do these things run? I might be interested in working on it with you :)

I've got a pair of Xhadow connectors ordered, will measure them and see if FPE is able to do a thread of the required gauge on a large enough hole for the gender modules.

Aside from FPE (schaeffer-ag) and hifi2000 are any other companies recommended for this type of thing ?

I've got a pair of Xhadow connectors ordered, will measure them and see if FPE is able to do a thread of the required gauge on a large enough hole for the gender modules.

Aside from FPE (schaeffer-ag) and hifi2000 are any other companies recommended for this type of thing ?

The problem as I see is that depending on the thread pitch you could have a tough time with the max FPE panel thickness not being thick enough to do what you're trying to do. If FPE fails you might have a try with emachineshop.com, although they would probably going to be a lot more expensive.

The problem as I see is that depending on the thread pitch you could have a tough time with the max FPE panel thickness not being thick enough to do what you're trying to do. If FPE fails you might have a try with emachineshop.com, although they would probably going to be a lot more expensive.

Yes I had considered that 4mm Al might not be resilient enough. I was hoping that the thin brass collar on the gender module plus the threaded 4mm might be enough to cope with insertion forces (with a nut on the panel's reverse side handling the XLR socket extraction forces). As a result of doubts though I'd also considered contacting hifi2000 to see about them custom machining one of their 10mm front panels for the purpose.

I hadn't known of emachineshop.com, the software is less intuitive for me but certainly their abilities to fabricate look good. I'll see if I can learn how to work the software, thankyou for the tip. :)

Yes, and they also made the "Hertsens" badge as well. You'll see similar things from me in the future. ;D

Cool, thanks for the info. I've been thinking of having them make me a badge with "β22" on it for my amp. Of course, I need to get me some access to Windows machine for the FPE software, now that I only Mac machines.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've been thinking of having them make me a badge with "β22" on it for my amp. Of course, I need to get me some access to Windows machine for the FPE software, now that I only Mac machines.

Crossover office or parallels etc :)