Ok, convince me to get a PS3

n_maher

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure if this is a news to anyone, but at least in Japan, MSG4/PS3 bundle will have just a different cosmetic version of 40GB PS3. So much for PS3 with bigger HD.

There are two versions of the Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 being released in the US.

One is a limited edition (I believe 10000 are being made) in gunmetal finish with gunmetal controller and MGS4 limited edition. This is the 80 GB hardrive version. $600 from Konami.

thumb463xsteel3de3.jpg

The other is the 40 GB version in standard finish with MGS4, that is $500.

I don't think the 40 GB versions have backwards compatibility though?

They may still have some via software emulation, but I could be wrong on that. In either case, I'm not sure if even the 80GB version will have backward compatibility since Sony took out the PS2 hardware out of PS3 altogether a while back to cut down on the production cost.

They may still have some via software emulation, but I could be wrong on that. In either case, I'm not sure if even the 80GB version will have backward compatibility since Sony took out the PS2 hardware out of PS3 altogether a while back to cut down on the production cost.

The 40GB doenst have any compatibility. the 80GB has software emulation.

The 40GB doenst have any compatibility. the 80GB has software emulation.

Yep. If I remember right, the 40GB MGS4 edition is more expensive than the 80GB PS3 + MGS4 bundle that has an extra feature (I can't remember the feature). It's pretty stupid to get the MGS4 edition unless you think the special edition-ness is worth that much.

BTW- Anyone looking at purchasing a PS3 should check this out. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=60082

Wal-mart is apparently giving you $100 if you buy a blu-ray player and the PS3 is included in the deal.

And I think the 60GB PS3 is the only one to have full backwards compatibility.

I upgraded the 60gig hd in my ps3 tonight to a 250gig and word to the wise for anyone else planning to upgrade the hd be very careful with the screws. The four holding the drive in the cage were way overtightened. I ended up having to use a pair of pliers to get them started turning. The screws are also very soft and the heads strip very easily.

• 4 weeks later...
There are two versions of the Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 being released in the US.

One is a limited edition (I believe 10000 are being made) in gunmetal finish with gunmetal controller and MGS4 limited edition. This is the 80 GB hardrive version. $600 from Konami.

thumb463xsteel3de3.jpg

The other is the 40 GB version in standard finish with MGS4, that is $500.

I've been thinking about getting a PS3 for the longest time. I even went to line up with those 3 day campers but had no luck. I was about to blow my money on the Gunmetal one but then I saw it was only 40GB. Did Sony really have to make such a great limited edition item pretty much useless? Not only that but Sony also took out the PS2 processor from the top-end model of the PS3, the 80GB and replaced it with a lousy emulator. I'd rather buy the 60GB one if I still had a chance but I don't think it is wise to buy a PS3 without warrentee. Does anyone know if the 80GB have any problems with PS2 compatibility?