electrostatic sound

brat

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But can the insufficient voltage (110V or less maybe) result in decreased sensitivity of the phones?

If you are using a 220v->110v transformer but feeding it 230v+ like we have here in Europe then the amp is getting half of that or 115-117v. The only effect the transformers has is current limiting so it has to be very over sized. I'd never use a 727 with anything less then a 3-500w transformer.

If you are using a 220v->110v transformer but feeding it 230v+ like we have here in Europe then the amp is getting half of that or 115-117v. The only effect the transformers has is current limiting so it has to be very over sized. I'd never use a 727 with anything less then a 3-500w transformer.

It's more often here in Sofia ( Bulgaria ) to have LESS than the mentioned 220V, not 230V+ :)

My transformer is up to 200W. I can get a DIY 220->117V transformer but would it ressolve the problem? :)

So what do you suggest for my 727 spritzer?

If you have less then 220v then it is a problem. The transformer will just half the voltage it gets so you could be running the amp at 10?v. I would talk to some local transformer manufacturer and have them make you a 5A (at least) transformer matched for your line voltage. It's a great investment and not that much more expensive then many stock units.

I'm starting to see the light what a good pair of stats can do (not the SR-404 >:D ). I've been comparing the SR-Lambda to the AKG Sextett and in comparison the Sextett sound like there is a layer of water between me and the music. Everything is brought a lot more forward than the Lambdas and I suppose that could be entertaining for a while. But to me they're just a more more forward sounding K340; perfectly fine for uncomplicated vocals (very nice AKG midrange), but play anything complex and everything gets muddled together. The SR-Lambda on the other hand doesn't succumb to the pressure even with the most demanding music.

Amp for the Sextett is an M^3, pretty sure it's up to the task of driving them.

The 404 is simply brilliant after it's been transplanted into the Sigma housing but I'm not a big fan either of the stock model. The SR-Lambda is one of the best headphones you can get at any price with very few flaws. The bass could be deeper, the treble more clear but the musicality is hard to deny.

Ok, I cannot grasp the ridiculousness of this situation: I was sent the Omega II (used obviously) from South Africa, and now Dutch customs want to charge me VAT and customs for the new retail price in Europe even though the system was originally bought from the UK Stax distributor Symmetry Systems (stickers on the box). Now, VAT and customs are close to what I paid for the system to begin with, something around $2000, and there's no way I'm going to pay that.

First of all, it couldn't possibly be new even if it looks new. It's not like I let my agent buy a new Stax system from the UK in South Africa and then have it shipped to my place.

I called the customs guy several times today and his point is that even if it was sold by a UK company, I still have to pay VAT because the Omega II could have been bought from a buyer in South Africa (which is the case). So because it was sold from Europe but not sold to an European buyer, EU tax could have been circumvented.

So he insists that I produce an invoice that the thing was also sold to an EU buyer. An invoice that obviously does not exist.

But I thought there is no possibility of the item being bought new in the UK and shipped to South Africa without EU tax being paid. It is made in Japan only, so taxes would have been paid upon arrival in the UK when the UK distributor imported it. Is that not the case?

Ok, I cannot grasp the ridiculousness of this situation: I was sent the Omega II (used obviously) from South Africa, and now Dutch customs want to charge me VAT and customs for the new retail price in Europe even though the system was originally bought from the UK Stax distributor Symmetry Systems (stickers on the box). Now, VAT and customs are close to what I paid for the system to begin with, something around $2000, and there's no way I'm going to pay that.

First of all, it couldn't possibly be new even if it looks new. It's not like I let my agent buy a new Stax system from the UK in South Africa and then have it shipped to my place.

I called the customs guy several times today and his point is that even if it was sold by a UK company, I still have to pay VAT because the Omega II could have been bought from a buyer in South Africa (which is the case). So because it was sold from Europe but not sold to an European buyer, EU tax could have been circumvented.

So he insists that I produce an invoice that the thing was also sold to an EU buyer. An invoice that obviously does not exist.

But I thought there is no possibility of the item being bought new in the UK and shipped to South Africa without EU tax being paid. It is made in Japan only, so taxes would have been paid upon arrival in the UK when the UK distributor imported it. Is that not the case?

Would dealers, as a business, be exempt from paying the sales tax? That's how it works here

This sucks ass!! I take it the system was insured at full value so why do you have to pay more then the VAT of that? If something is bought inside the EU but the buyer is outside (Norway, Iceland, Switzerland etc.) then there is no VAT added as buyer is supposed to pay it in his home country. I does seem odd to me that they are asking for the VAT of the retail price as there is none (EU rules) and you have documentation showing how much money you sent. That should be more then enough.

Would dealers, as a business, be exempt from paying the sales tax? That's how it works here

I assume that the same system is used in the rest of Europe where businesses pay the VAT on products and services they buy but it gets deducted from the stuff you sell on the report you file.

This sucks ass!! I take it the system was insured at full value so why do you have to pay more then the VAT of that? If something is bought inside the EU but the buyer is outside (Norway, Iceland, Switzerland etc.) then there is no VAT added as buyer is supposed to pay it in his home country. I does seem odd to me that they are asking for the VAT of the retail price as there is none (EU rules) and you have documentation showing how much money you sent. That should be more then enough.

I think the dispute the customs officials might be arguing- was VAT ever payed on the system...since it was bought from a UK dealer then sent to South Africa. I have no idea if VAT is added in the purchase price of such an expensive item or not (or if it is calculated afterward).

When I lived in Ireland you received a specific VAT receipt for all electronics. You could request it for small items such as food and stuff as well (but even grocery receipts had VAT numbers on them).

I am so glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore. Had two nightmare incidents with customs, that's enough for one lifetime.

I think the dispute the customs officials might be arguing- was VAT ever payed on the system...since it was bought from a UK dealer then sent to South Africa. I have no idea if VAT is added in the purchase price of such an expensive item or not (or if it is calculated afterward).

When I lived in Ireland you received a specific VAT receipt for all electronics. You could request it for small items such as food and stuff as well (but even grocery receipts had VAT numbers on them).

I am so glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore. Had two nightmare incidents with customs, that's enough for one lifetime.

He would have to pay VAT of the import price but making him pay it of the original retail price is insane and they have no right to do that. Still it is only the VAT as we have a nice collection of fees up here that add to about 70% on hi-fi and televisions.

I think I'm just gonna show them the paypal receipt of the purchase. Still a lot of tax and customs though, around 400 Euros.

By the way, what's the fine for altering an invoice? It would have the proper VAT number and everything, only the buyer address would be altered.

Anyways, if somehow possible I'm never buying expensive stuff from abroad again.

Hmm, that comes under tax fraud/evasion. You cold be looking at more trouble than you really want. I had a similar situation when I brought all my camera gear to the UK from Germany, ended up costing me over 400 pounds back in 1982 to get it back from customs. Fuckers!

:sadcat:

Hmm, that comes under tax fraud/evasion. You cold be looking at more trouble than you really want. I had a similar situation when I brought all my camera gear to the UK from Germany, ended up costing me over 400 pounds back in 1982 to get it back from customs. Fuckers!

:sadcat:

You're probably right. The buyer was also kind enough to pay half of the tax and custom fees. Really decent guy I must say since he has no obligation whatsoever to do so.