AKG K1000 Headband Re-tension

Looser101

You probably need a new headband. The tension is created via a rubber band of sorts attached to the leather headband. To access this you need to take the driver housings off the headband.

If you swing the drivers out, you'll notice two screws holding the driver housing to the headband assembly. You need to unscrew those and then take the drive housing off. This will allow you to take the temple pad assembly off. That will give you access to the headband.

I don't recommend this though. Once you remove that driver assembly and fiddle with the temple pad assembly you risk losing a spring and little ball bearings that are a part of that whole assembly... there are a lot of little easily lost parts in that assembly unfortunately.

Plus you'd either need to rig up some new rubber band thingy with greater tension or replace the band with a new one.... good luck getting in touch with AKG for spare parts. They can be tough to get a hold of.

Renato - sorry about the headband. :-[

I'm guessing I didn't realize it since I have a pretty huge head. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

No problem. I guess my head is too small or my ears are too high on my head.

I guess over time the rubber tensioner has stretched and the weight of the headphones overcomes the headband tension.

R

I don't recommend this though. Once you remove that driver assembly and fiddle with the temple pad assembly you risk losing a spring and little ball bearings that are a part of that whole assembly... there are a lot of little easily lost parts in that assembly unfortunately.

Plus you'd either need to rig up some new rubber band thingy with greater tension or replace the band with a new one.... good luck getting in touch with AKG for spare parts. They can be tough to get a hold of.

Thanks for the instructions, they were very helpful and kept me from losing the springs and balls. I took it apart and the rubbers are very stretched. And they are integral to the inner headband. If I'm able to get a replacement can anyone provide additional guidance in separating the outer and inner headband?

R