Lathes are fun!

swt61

So I set up my lathe last night, and was itchin' to get to it today.

I had a piece of East India Rosewood hanging around in the shop, and with nothing really in mind set out to make some wood chips.

What I ended up with will probably end up as a post for a multi headphone stand, most likely with 4 hangers attached to a hub mounted to the top of the post and a round thick base at the bottom.

psaudiopca2007gy4.jpg

HAHAHA

the only thing that came to my mind was a pepper mill, but they seem to use a lighter wood for that

did it come off the lathe looking that shiny? or did you put a coat of something on it

First I tried a wax product made for lathes. It looks like a semi sweet chocolate bar, and you rub it on the project as it's spinning, then buff it down with 0000 steel wool. I didn't care for the glossy sheen it had. I'm more of a satin finish kinda guy (no bling bling), so I went back to my tried and true 5 coats of hand buffed lacquer.

It is nice to be able to sand the piece on the lathe though, and you can get a pretty good finish, but I still think a little hand sanding with the direction of the grain is needed for a museum quality finish.