My new 100 watt nite light

kevin gilmore

Very cool... you going to make something like that Nitelight that Moth Audio used to sell?

Well that is the finished piece... Its home now, will decide a place for it, then take

high resolution pictures with my REAL camera.

833a headphone amp. Interesting idea. Bet it would sound absolutely great.

Single ended DHT triode that is one of the few that you can do a dc filament on.

Would definitely need a fork lift to move the resulting amplifier around.

It really is a nite lite. Just like this one...

http://www.eddiecurrent.com/mothaudio/nitelitehi.html

except that one is only 25 watts.

This thing is 100 watts and actually lights up the room a bit.

I'm finding the perfect place to put it before i take some more pictures.

Comments from the peanut gallery are being ignored.

(the perfect place for this would be back at work, how about the garbage can, a place where the sun don't shine...)

But its really growing on me. Right now its in my computer room floor.

Here is a picture with all the room lights off, and only a bit of light coming from the window at 7:30 pm chicago area

WARNING HUGE OF COURSE...

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/nitelite3.jpg

wow, this thing gets pretty hot...

OK, here you go, i just got back from my "hardwood pusher" I call him that because every time i walk in there

i usually end up several hundred dollars lighter in my wallet. And a trunk full of goodies..

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/nitelite5.jpg

This is a gorgeous hunk of purpleheart. One quick trip thru the planner to get it flat. Boy was that thing

making evil noises. After drilling the holes for the brass screws, i now know why.

Anyone know that the appropriate finish is for this kind of wood, or should i leave it completely unfinished??

I made a purpleheart bracelet and another one out of some orange wood for shop class when I was in school. Gave it a nice sanding down to about 220 grit I think, then put a few coats of clear polyurethane on it, sanding with 320 or 400 grit in between coats. Ended up with a pretty glossy finish on it.

Awesome. I love the coil -- is an inductive load necessary when you're only driving the filament?

You know you need to do something about those transformer wires, though. With construction as nice as that, "haywiring" is a tragedy. Trim those wires to length and get some fancy standoffs!