Rat shack soldering iron

Smeggy

Ok don't start.. ::)

It's the only place nearby that stocks them. So anyone tried any of their crap? I see they have numerous irons from pistol grip 40W to Pencil 15W and adjustable butane 25-50W.

Any recommendations on power/type etc for phone wires and circuit DIY work?

Ok don't start.. ::)

It's the only place nearby that stocks them. So anyone tried any of their crap? I see they have numerous irons from pistol grip 40W to Pencil 15W and adjustable butane 25-50W.

Any recommendations on power/type etc for phone wires and circuit DIY work?

I sometimes use the butane one. Works ok.

First I suggest you don't do it and invest a little more cheese on a better iron.

I have owned a couple in the past and they have been okay. The problem with them is the tips suck. If you don't plan on doing a lot of DIY you should be fine as long as you take care of it. As for size the smaller ones will be fine for phone wires but for larger stuff you will want something with more power. Stay away from guns.

I purchased a Xytronic as I iron for here in Iraq and I have had really good luck with it. It also uses Hakko tips.

I have owned a couple in the past and they have been okay. The problem with them is the tips suck.

Yup, the tips are only good for a couple projects before they start getting eaten away into uselessness. If you're only going to build a project or two it's no big deal, but if you plan on being a regular DIY guy you'll want to step up to a better iron like a Weller or Pace.

x2 on the tips suck, even when new, even when taken care of. You're on the west coast? No Fry's around? They carry Weller and Hakko and probably more. Home Depot or Lowes might have something in the 25W or so range (Weller probably)? I'd try to get anything other than ratshack if I were you.