Small(ish) bookshelf speakers

Fitz

I ended up deciding to give the Epos M5 a try, since on second thought I figured the Totem Rainmaker would probably be way too boomy that close to a wall. So far I'm liking them... clear and uncolored midrange, with subdued treble and bass, very AKG-like. Can't really comment on soundstage with them positioned like this though.

From the manual: "DISCLAIMER: The 4mm plugs used on modern Hi-Fi speaker cables can be inserted into European mains sockets. Needless to say, this is pointless and can be fatal if tried. Make sure that young members of the family are prevented from ever doing this."

Your penis can be inserted into a toaster, common sense dictates that it ought not to be done. I recon that the reason that label is there is because there has been at some point a lawsuit over someone very thick doing something very stupid.

Oh for fuck's sake - dumpster AR4's :palm: - try some Green Mountain Europas. You need a good stand, but they are reasonable.

INDEED

1. Have you read the thread?

2. Want to give them to him free? Then the cost would be the same, and he would have the 'better sound'

He bought new ones already.

What would be the point of a "good stand" for PC speakers used on a desk with limited space that aren't positioned ideally anyways?

:doghuh:

Tyll would argue that there's a pretty large point to be made for using desktop stands for near field listening. I'm inclined to agree with him, given my limited experimentation with raising near field monitors above the desk surface.

My inattention to the first posts of the thread led me to the wrong conclusion, however, any small good speaker can usually show marked improvement with a stand; expensive, or cheap, typically deadened and spiked. I have no experience with desktop speakers, and remain somewhat embarrased regarding my lack of attention to the entire thread.

Tyll would argue that there's a pretty large point to be made for using desktop stands for near field listening. I'm inclined to agree with him, given my limited experimentation with raising near field monitors above the desk surface.

I have the HR stands and believe that raising them has made a difference. Instead of being below my ears they are on level with them. I don't listen to seriously at my work desk as I'm usually doing something else but I do believe that what I do hear is better as a result of using the stands.

The first thing I did when I got them was stick some books under them to raise them up to bring the tweeters to ear level (until I work out something a little nicer looking). I was just being passive-aggressive towards randerson for making fun of my free speakers. :P