Source recommendations

barmar46

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I done a little more digging and dug up a little controversy as to whether the 2900 mod performs better that the 3910 (I read one interview where John says that the 3810 is definately an upgade) Anyone done a/b comparisons? Dusty how would you compare your two? (I'll probably by the 3910 I've been drooling over tomorrow after I talk to John to clarify his support unless you I find out something to contradict this choice.

I've had a modded Denon 2900 for some time now. The tubes chosen do make a big difference, as I was unsure about the player until I hit the right set. As it is, when I had a chance to hear the Emm Labs 1-box player, I thought it was a great source, but not enough improvement over the Denon for me to make the move.

Dusty how would you compare your two?
My two? I only have the 3910. Hirsch has a 2900 that I could probably listen to any time I want, but I've never done an A/B comparison, and they're different mods done by different people (my 3910 is modded by SACDMods and is solid state; Hirsch's 2900 is modded by...Exemplar? Modwright? I forget...but it's tube-based...).

Your best bet (if you can afford to front the money) is to buy both on the used market at prices at which you can afford to flip them, do your own comparisons within your own system (because you're getting to the point where the differences will be system-dependent), and sell the one you like less (or relegate it to a less important system).

The advantage of this scheme is that it doesn't need to be done all at once -- you can buy that 3910 now, and get the 2900 later when you can afford it. You'll probably be fine with the 3910 for a long time. We're talking incremental improvements of one over the other.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

FWIW along with the eXemplar 2900 I also have a SACDmods Eastsound E5. You can see pictures and learn all what was done to it here on SACDmods web site. The changes they make from one unit to another doesn't differ very much. They usually involve bypassing the existing analog output section with a ZapFilter, replacing the clock chip with a better one and replacing key components with better ones. So the mods to a Denon 3910 will be similar to the ones done to my E5.

The mods done to the E5 improved the sound all around. The sound was more detailed and PRAT was improved. However, when I compared the modded E5 to the eXemplar 2900, I much preferred the latter. The 2900 has even more detail and similar PRAT. I feel its tonality is better. Overall the sound is more organic. Since I listen to headphones more than my speaker system, the 2900 has remained in the headphone setup and the E5 has been relegated to the speaker setup.

If you can, listen to both. What you like to hear is certainly different that what I do and you may prefer the SACDmod sound to the eXemplar sound.

What about the Exemplar tube output stage mod on the 3910 that's on the unit that I'm looking at? I don't see that mod on the SACD mods web site. Is that feature and what comes with it to make it equivilant to the 2910 mod? And I'm a little confused because the interview I read with John indicated that the 3910 was and upgrade from the 2900? But I thing I'm hearing you pretty loud and clear, guzziguy (and you were the one who spoke so exemplary or Exemplar) that if you don't correct me, I would be better off refraining from the purchace of this $2000 3910 Exemplar tube mod and wait until a 2900 mod comes along? Do I hear you correctly?

What about the Exemplar tube output stage mod on the 3910 that's on the unit that I'm looking at? I don't see that mod on the SACD mods web site. Is that feature and what comes with it to make it equivilant to the 2910 mod? And I'm a little confused because the interview I read with John indicated that the 3910 was and upgrade from the 2900? But I thing I'm hearing you pretty loud and clear, guzziguy (and you were the one who spoke so exemplary or Exemplar) that if you don't correct me, I would be better off refraining from the purchace of this $2000 3910 Exemplar tube mod and wait until a 2900 mod comes along? Do I hear you correctly?

I don't think he's saying that. I think he was saying he prefers exemplars mods to sacdmod's.

Yeah, I wasn't quite sure. Thought that at first, but you know when you're just about to spend, like $2000. you begin have parnoid flashes, hear voices..wait that's just my everyday life!

Sorry, I didn't sleep well last night so am a bit incoherent this afternoon. Dan is correct, I prefer the eXemplar mods to the SACDmods. SACDmods are pretty much the same, add a ZapFilter (solid state analog stage), add a new clock and replace some components (capacitors, diodes, etc.). eXemplar mods are more custom make a tube output stage with constant current, add a bunch of improved power supplies and add a new clock circuit.

If I were you, I'd grab the eXemplar 3910 once you are satisfied John will support it. As I stated earlier, I'll be shocked if he won't. I doubt that there is much difference SQ wise between a modded 2900 and 3910. As Denon adds new models and discontinues old ones, John has to do the same as the demand for modding will mostly be for the latest Denon models.

Great, I just emailed the seller w/a couple of more clarifying questions about history(one of his answers was a bit ambiguous) and told him I'd be calling John tomorrow just to make sure the connections were clear and clean. But I told him given that clarification we had a deal! Sleep well guzziguy!

Great, I just emailed the seller w/a couple of more clarifying questions about history(one of his answers was a bit ambiguous) and told him I'd be calling John tomorrow just to make sure the connections were clear and clean. But I told him given that clarification we had a deal! Sleep well guzziguy!

Nice, Barry. Let us know what transpires.

I can't believe no-one has posted this yet:

Dew et.

It's like, the second unofficial head-case greeting.

The time has arrived to do the dance. Consultants have consulted. Sellers have sold (me a bill of goods) I have constants in place: ATC 20-2 active speakers. (Gonna' keep my Headroom Balanced amp/dac for now)

Considering the following cd player/pre amp (all-in-one) purchases:

1) Audio Aero Capitole 2 SE CD player/pre-amp

Probably about 5-6 years old, two owners, new tubes, $3,850 incl shipping agreed, seller on Audiogon

2) Resolution Audio Opus 21 (like new "10/10) $2,695 obo (haven't talked to buyer and negotiated yet. He will call tomorrow.) Sold by Perrotta Consultation. Two other used from $2,399-2,599"

?: Is internal pre-amp good enuf or would I need to buy stand alone pre-amp? If so, would I not be better off w/above. Will I really hear a qualitative difference between 1) and 2)?

3) Stand Pat: Sit back, relax, keep the 'ol "not so hot but won't cost me a dime extra" Cambridge 540C v1, get the speakers and let them break in. One caveat, however. If, I don't buy the cd player now, I may not get the $ released by my wife (a Commander in the Air Force, while I a Cub Scout flunk out).

4) Seal myself off in a cave in the far off mountains of East Asia and contemplate grasping, aversion and impermanance!

I wonder what Jacob thinks? I wonder if he'll float me the Capitole?

Are you planning on using Capitole or Opus as a DAC as well? IIRC, Todd reported not so long ago that Opus' performance as a DAC wasn't as good its performance as a CDP. I think it was in his 840c impression/review thread.

I think you should get the Capitole just for the fact it's a top-loader. >:D

Yes, whichever CDP I get would be a one box solution (if in fact it is such) the player/transport, the dac, and the pre-amp. If in fact the Capitole is solid in all these areas and not of concern given and an two owner history, easy enuf to use and maintain, and priced right (seems that it is) then the $3,850 shipped really is paying for a lot of components and seems like a wise and prudent purchase (Can you spell "rationalization?"

If any one actually owns either of the CDPs(besides Jacob) and would care to do a litte mini review or, miricle-of-miricles, an a/b comparrison, I would be more than beholden!

Just talked to Anthony Perrotta. He says the Opus is new and hasn't been used. Just that the box was opend. Settled on $2550 shipped. Nice price.

Gotta' hear back from my Peeps. Sunday morning. Peeps still sleeps?

I'm sure that you'll love it. Try not to fall into the audiophile trap of searching for the perfect sound. It doesn't exist. Don't sweat over very subtle differences in SQ. It will just make you crazy. Just sit back and enjoy the music. If you then decide that the sound isn't for you, you can worry about doing something about it then.