Source recommendations

barmar46

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 50% off retail for new, which is what I was offered, I found the G08 fairly decent. Not syrupy, if anything it was unemotional and not the most detailed. Certainly not as good as the Reimyo or what I have now but for an ignorant cus as myself OK.

Why, what's inside them? I didn't find their sound syrupy at all. My biggest complaint about the G08 is that it took some serious matching -- more so than other systems I've heard. Is that because the analogue section is 'weak'?

On the inside is an OEM switching supply (costs around 50$ online for 1 unit), a horrible DVD-Rom drive with a small PCB at the back with the CPU's doing the upsampling and D/A conversion and an opamp based output stage. I should have pictures of it somewhere but I'm having trouble finding them.

On the inside is an OEM switching supply (costs around 50$ online for 1 unit), a horrible DVD-Rom drive with a small PCB at the back with the CPU's doing the upsampling and D/A conversion and an opamp based output stage. I should have pictures of it somewhere but I'm having trouble finding them.

I got pics:

Edwood_G08_05innards.jpg

Edwood_G08_06innards.jpg

Edwood_G08_07innards.jpg

Edwood_G08_08innards.jpg

Edwood_G08_09innards.jpg

Edwood_G08_10innards.jpg

Edwood_G08_11innards.jpg

Edwood_G08_12innards.jpg

The op amps on the output section are OPA275.

meridian rsa whats the difference? ;)
:palm:

I give up. I'm not going to defend a company based on you-all's impressions on one product, but they do some cutting edge stuff with, for example, their digital active speakers, and MLP Lossless compression (which, if I understand correctly, they developed). The comparison to RSA is not apt.

:palm:

I give up. I'm not going to defend a company based on you-all's impressions on one product, but they do some cutting edge stuff with, for example, their digital active speakers, and MLP Lossless compression (which, if I understand correctly, they developed). The comparison to RSA is not apt.

Doesn't Ray use Meridian's in all his rigs? That's why I posted it. I wasn't being serious, either to Meridian or RSA for that matter. Meridian's biggest problem seems to be cutting edge prices on their less than cutting edge products.

Inside of the Krell SACD standard. Equal number of parts on the other side of the board, more output stages needed since it's multi-channel SACD. You could make an argument that this is a simpler design than the Meridian, of course that's going to fall on deaf ears.

g9f22314.jpg