Incorrectly Wired Grado RS-2

bhjazz

Yup. Right outtta the box. WTF?

I was prepared to jump into a pair of SR-325i's, but after listening to them compared to the RS-2, I opted to upgrade. The RS-2 just sounded smoother and much more musical and relaxed. The demo pair was nice with not alot of hours, so I knew the sound would only get better. I paid my bill and brought home a sealed box. Hoo-yeah!

After an hour, I heard the first stage of break in pass by...waitaminute....really? Yes, the sound had a very obvious change and I had to review the last few tunes to really believe it. Cool. Then I started listening more critically. It was then that I started fiddling with the balance.

I slid the balance control to the right and...the sound went left.

Huh?

I tried in the opposite direction and found the same..opposite..ah hell, you know what I mean. I ended up bringing a different head amp downstairs to the big rig and connecting directly to my cd player. (No, neither of me headamps are incorrect, nor are my HD600s.)

Yup. Left=right and right=left.

I'm sure this has happened before, but I just didn't like it. The dealer I bought them from is 25 miles away (one way) so two trips in one weekend was pretty costly, not to mention the irritation of passing Safeco Field during a Mariners game (twice), and Seattle Center during "The Bite of Seattle" (twice). Ouch.

I'm honestly not sure what I'll do when the dealer gets a few new pairs in. While I really liked the sound, what a hassle for new gear.

Nothing more here than an odd complaint. Jump in, spam me, whatever.

I'd guess it's less that they're wired wrong and more that they were assembled wrong.

You could've just popped the rubber end caps of the metal rods, slid them out of the L & R blocks, slid them into the correct side of the headband and then just pop the rubber caps back on. Seems like it would've been a whole lot easier.

I have seen this on my pair of sr-60's..

like others have said...

Just pop of the black tab and switch the sides out, afterwards put a tiny bit of nail polish on the tip of the metal rod and put the plastic tab back on..make sure you use nail polish just a tiny bit cause the tabs can pop off by themselves./....

little fuckers like to run away...

congrats on the purchase, the rs-2 to me is one of the most under rated Grado out there.

You could've just popped the rubber end caps of the metal rods, slid them out of the L & R blocks, slid them into the correct side of the headband and then just pop the rubber caps back on. Seems like it would've been a whole lot easier.

What he said. It's way easier for Grado to get this wrong than any other manufacturer. Thankfully that means it's way easier for us to correct without major surgery. So the lesson here is next time post before you return.

It was weird to slide the balance control and expect the sound to go the same way. Confusing. And I wasn't even drinking. much.

There was an odd glop of glue holding the driver in. I didn't want to cut it off for fear or ripping a new one in the driver itself. Still, it felt a bit funny on my earlobe. But I suppose someone will say, "that's normal". Oh well. Another pair on the way. And if this pair is wrong, backwards, wonky or weird, at least I'll know what to do: post here first!

saying "yeah dude, like totally it was real!" doesn't make the "burn-in" so, but reverse wired Grados are common enough.

I'll second this comment minus the "yeah dude, like it was totally real!" doesn't make the "burn-in" so...

IME, Grado assemblers don't seem to give a shit about the wiring arrangement - I had a pair of GS1000's and 325's with your issue. FWIW, my GS1000's were mounted onto their frames in diffrent places from each other (one was mounted almost dead centre, the other mounted 1/4 of the distance b/w the grill and the pad).

For "made in the USA, Grado sure has some shitty build quality...

(donning my who the fuck is this guy suit...)