MacHeads- Impending MacBook Purchase

I noticed about a week ago that my white MacBook had started developing a crack at the place where my right palm rests. I googled that and it seems like it's a very common problem for MacBooks. I had heard about case cracking problems, but I thought it was just due to abuse, not a big design flaw like this. Anyway, I'm not too happy and I called the technical support and took an appointment at a local Apple Store for tomorrow morning. I still have 2 months on my warranty so they better replace it.:rant:

Here's an example (I didn't take the photo) of the problem:

2369846810_da90d462a8.jpg

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, that's VERY common. Luckily even out of warranty, you can get new "top cases" (that's the part name) for about $40, and it takes a little less than 20 minutes to do.

Cool. It still sucks if I have to replace the top case every year, but at least I know it's possible to do so.

the new 17" is pretty sweet. i was hoping for new minis and imacs, though, as i want to make a modest order of desktop Macs for my department, soon.

I bet we'll see something within the next few months. Apple is moving to smaller, more focused announcements on their timetable. I would not be surprised to see a quiet bump of the Mac mini on their website at some point (unless they have bigger plans for it than that ;) ).

Quick follow-up to my MacBook cracking problem:

I left my laptop at the Apple store yesterday morning, they told me it would take 3-5 days to repair it because their was also a problem with the screen (faulty board inverter or something like that). They called me yesterday night at 9PM to told me the repair was done and I could pick it up anytime. I've rarely been that pleased with customer service. :o