MacHeads- Impending MacBook Purchase

I exclusively use Openoffice, so I have no worries about the 'crap level'. I am just wondering which port I should be using. However, if Indra says OO wont work on Leopard, then I will have to use NeoOffice.

I just installed NeoOffice and it looks real similar to MS Office (well yeah)..I can open my excel files in Neo without any trouble and edit them and resave them in normal .xls if I want (and reopen the edited file in Excel again). You can also choose the opensoftware extension and lot's of others.

It's not that use the software on a high level, it's just to keep track of my hours and to make invoices and such.

I'll continue to work with it from now on and ditch MS completely if I'm satisfied and when I buy a new MBP.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the button isn't the next selectable option, "Post Icons" is and your enter just reselects "No icon"?

Nope, I lied, works just fine for me on the Macbook running FF3. ???

Mine wouldn't even tab to the post icons. However, even if you tab to 'post icons' and hit enter, the post is submitted, at least on my linux machines running FF3.

As I find myself using the Macbook more and more I'd like to find an image management program like ACDSee to use. I don't want or need a full fledged editing program, I want something that allows me to import, resize and post things quickly. Aperture seems like very much the wrong application for this, nothing about that software works intuitively for me. So any suggestions? Iphoto's resize options leave a lot to be desired. :(

• 4 weeks later...
My soon-to-be-old-school Macbook runs Vista Ultimate just fine so you should have no problems with XP. On thought would be whether or not the screen size will work for you or whether an MBP would be better suited to your needs.

The only thing I need XP for is to run the software we use for case management, Word and Outlook. I hope a MB does the trick. The office is paying but I wanted to keep it under $1500 and I prefer 13" so it's easier to carry for travel. I have a 22" monitor for the office. If it doesn't work, it goes to my son. I was buying him a MB by the end of the year anyway.

is your office running an exchange server? if so, there is no real need to run outlook, as entourage 2008 gives you everything outlook does.

Yes, we are running an exchange server. One less thing to worry about. Plus I don't think running word or word perfect will be a problem. The big question is the case management program. I'm guessing this should not be a problem since xp is running natively.

Last Thursday my MacBook Pro went dark. I got it from Apple last August 10th (2007) and have had no issues with it at all. Been rock solid. I was called downstairs for a quick meeting so I closed the lid and took it down with me. When I opened it up there was no screen. Looked like it was turned off.

Went over to my brother-in-law's house and restarted it in Target Disk Mode and scanned it with Drive Genius. The drive said it was fine but no video. Left it at Mac Authority and 3 days later they informed me that the logic card needed to be replaced! One of the guys I work with mentioned that there's been a glut of MBPs that have had this failure and those of us out of warranty are having to pay $700-$1200 to fix them. I googled "Macbook Pro black screen" and there was a shitload of stuff that popped up. Evidently NVidia had a few bad chip sets that went into quite a few cards... both Mac and PC. NVidia has admitted it, but Apple so far has failed to admit there's an issue. There are two threads on the Apple support site. One got so long they closed it and opened up another. No rep from Apple answered any questions in either of the threads.

Mac Authority wanted $700 to fix it. My Dad was at an official Apple store and talked to the manager about the problem. He just rolled is eyes and said he had the exact same problem with his own laptop. I figured I had nothing to lose so I made an appointment with the Apple store across town and had them look at it. Showed them the summary that I recieved from MA and he told me to wait a minute and went into the back. He comes back out and tells me that for a flat rate of $310 Apple will fix it. So far out of all of the forums I've found virtually no one has got this deal with the exception of one other person... and he had to go through 2 Apple support people on the phone. Don't know if they're quietly addressing the problem or I lucked out. I was hoping for a little more negotiating since I was barely out of warranty but that's as good as it gets.

So learn from my mistake. Get the warranty... especially if you have a Macbook Pro. :(

You, my friend, are in luck!

An investigation by Apple shows some MacBook Pros may have faulty Nvidia graphics processors after all, despite Nvidia's earlier assurances to the contrary, the computer maker has announced.

Apple said it will repair at no charge MacBook Pros where the Nvidia GPU has failed, or fails within two years from the purchase date. Problem signs include distorted or scrambled video, or no video on the screen though the computer is turned on. Models that might be affected are 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pros with Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors. The computers were made between May 2007 and September 2008.

The exact same thing happened with the one Mac I owned, I think the line was called the iBook line. I loved the computer when I had it, but one month out of the 1 year warranty my screen went black. Took it to a Mac repair center: faulty lobo, $800 repair cost. I told apple to stick it up their ass.

This was years ago. I'm of course now willing to own an apple again, but if I do I'll buy the extended warranty.