MacHeads- Impending MacBook Purchase

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new! new! new! new! new! new! new! new! new!

I'll give myself tonight to agonize over it while I'll wipe the HD on the Powerbook and reinstall OS-X.

My only real concern with the regular macbook is the shared video ram aspect. Although given what I think this lappy with be used for it's probably not an issue.

:'(

It's a second, non essential laptop. Hard to justify over spending on it only to get something that wouldn't be as powerful as my current 15" lappy. And actually, I think it'll be nice to have one lappy that's more portable. The idea that I'm buying one at all is pretty excessive.

It's a second, non essential laptop. Hard to justify over spending on it only to get something that wouldn't be as powerful as my current 15" lappy. And actually, I think it'll be nice to have one lappy that's more portable. The idea that I'm buying one at all is pretty excessive.

I'm just giving you a hard time, buddy. :)

FWIW, I'm pretty happy with my MBP, so far.

I'm just giving you a hard time, buddy. :)

FWIW, I'm pretty happy with my MBP, so far.

I know, I'm really tempted by the MBP until I look at what it'd cost for what I'd really want. Then I realize I have the powerhouse lappy already taken care of so I might as well fill a different "need" with the regular macbook.

And I enjoyed the powerbook and really don't need to replace it. It just occurred to me that given the ridiculous resale value coupled with the rather large education discounts available right now that I might actually be able to sell it and move up to a 5yr newer, way more powerful model for a few hundred bucks. I'm going to stretch that just slightly to get the 2.4GHz, 2GB whitebook (ugh) and really that's enough for now. If in 3 years or so I've really liked having the macbook I can see moving to a MBP.

[edit]and it appears that any education purchase qualifies for the free ipod, not just the college folks. I'm going to call tonight to verify that and if so will be ordering a new MB instead of a refurb tomorrow.

Edited by n_maher

I know, I'm really tempted by the MBP until I look at what it'd cost for what I'd really want. Then I realize I have the powerhouse lappy already taken care of so I might as well fill a different "need" with the regular macbook.

And I enjoyed the powerbook and really don't need to replace it. It just occurred to me that given the ridiculous resale value coupled with the rather large education discounts available right now that I might actually be able to sell it and move up to a 5yr newer, way more powerful model for a few hundred bucks. I'm going to stretch that just slightly to get the 2.4GHz, 2GB whitebook (ugh) and really that's enough for now. If in 3 years or so I've really liked having the macbook I can see moving to a MBP.

[edit]and it appears that any education purchase qualifies for the free ipod, not just the college folks. I'm going to call tonight to verify that and if so will be ordering a new MB instead of a refurb tomorrow.

If they give you a hard time, let me know. We can probably work something out, since I pickup my new Student ID tomorrow.