DCC Gold v. Mobile Fidelity?

barmar46

How does the SQ and overall quality of the DCC Gold series compare to Mobile Fidelity? Does Steve Hoffman oversee the DCC line?

I just found a new copy of Jackson Browne's "Late for the Sky" for $100 when the used were going for as much as $200. I don't think I've paid more than $25 for one cd in my life but to inaugurate my new Capitole this might be the CD I would pay such a price if...that sound is really that significant a difference? What's the general comparison between the two premium companies? Between a standard rebook and these gold standards? And as anyone heard or do you have "Late for the Sky?"

What, you heathen! But JB is really not important because there are soooo many other cds I was looking at comparatively so ,personal taste aside...what about the other questions? (Next you're gonna' dis Lawrence Welk and his bubble machine) Come on now Grawk, and I thought you were groovy. :cool:

In my opinion the DCC version of everything I have listened to has been a definitive version. This is mostly CDs, but the few DCC LPs I've heard have been outstanding as well. The dynamics and vocals on Hoffman's works are simply outstanding.

MFSL is mostly hit or miss, as they use some "interesting" EQ choices. But sometimes their releases can just be fun to listen to in a strictly non-audiophile sense.

If I can get a better than average deal on a DCC title I usually take it (even if it is expensive) since they only continue to appreciate. And a lot of people are dumping their titles with the way the economy is. I have a bunch of duplicates I need to list for sale.

Edited by deepak

Ya' know as soon as I typed "$100" and saw it in print, I came to the same conclusion Jack did. Ya' gotta' be nuts. There are, however some fine DCC cds out there in a much more sane price bracket that I may consider for first Capitole investment. Anything you wanna' suggest Grawk before I make a tasteless mistake. Actually there's some fine jazz and a very modestly priced old Jimmy Smith cd I just might pick up. $100 on a cd, what was I thinking? :confused::confused:

Ya' know as soon as I typed "$100" and saw it in print, I came to the same conclusion Jack did. Ya' gotta' be nuts.

I disagree. The recording is the very first part of the source. Even before your CD player or DAC. In my opinion there's no point in having a high end system without having good recordings (and good music obviously).

That said $110 was the highest I've paid and it was for two rare DCC discs. One of them regularly sells for $200+ in the condition it is in.

A close friend has paid $500 for a classic rock LP that he enjoys on a regular basis. Given his system is something like $80k, I don't think that's really rediculous for a piece of music he loves :)

it's jackson browne, it's probably crap :)

I once worked with a guy (in the high tech business), who used to be in the music business. At one point, he was the bass player of Boston but left the band a year before it hit the big time. He said that JB only wrote two songs, "Doctor My Eyes" and all the rest! :P

I have to admit to liking JB's music, but not enough to pay $100 for one of his cd's.

"Reference determines value." Leroi Jones-Blues People

My above question doesn't matter.

My statement about ME being nuts refers to the FACT that I really don't have a $100 to spend a Jackson Browne's "Late for the Sky," but with the new frame of reference to rarity and scarcity, the importance of source, and the truth of how I really hold that work so precious...I still may impulsively yet with considered reason snatch that puppy right up.

I like the DCC for Queensryche's Empire album.

2584708743_3a88aab9d7.jpg?v=0

Also the self titled Bad Company (though not DCC, its another newer label, who's name escapes me at the moment:

2336975519_4d287cb9e9.jpg?v=0

If you're into jazz at all, some of the DCC editions can be had for much cheaper than the rock variety. Like the Oscar Peterson Trio's "West Side Story", which is an astounding recording.

2399876474_a787a838b1.jpg?v=0

DCC also had Steve Hoffman material for 'non-gold' editions. This one I have, and cherish, perhaps even more so than the Oscar Peterson noted above:

2511950993_916a42fe5f.jpg?v=0

The Pee Wee Russell album is laughably affordable.

...Then again, the used Jimmy Smith cd with that great rendition of "A Walk on the Wild Side," was something under $20...Oh, I saw that Oscar Peterson, I'm going to look it up right now. My wife and I watched West Side Story on Sat. night and I was wowed once again...Be back in a moment with the price.

("Money doesn't talk, it swears!" Mr. Zimmerman)

Keep in mind some DCC CDs have a gold and silver version. In this case the difference is not just in the color of the disc, but the gold versions using SH's tube mastering system, where as the silver is mastered with solid state equipment.

The silver versions can be found for pretty cheap usually and are a great value.

Please forgive if this is too off topic but depending on your tastes you might look at MC Recordings, they have a ecclectic mix of artists and styles but Todd Garfinkle the master engineer does a superb job IMHO. Whether you like the music or not the sonics are fantastic and the price is reasonable, so hopefully you will find something in that broad range of selections to get your fancy.

it's jackson browne, it's probably crap :)

You can't really go wrong with DCC or MoFi

I'd go with something you like :)
I agree with all of these.

I invariably like the DCC versions and the MFSL versions better than anything that came before them, but I have heard subsequent versions better them -- I don't think I've ever heard a subsequent version after a DCC version -- ever -- but the few times I've heard subsequent versions after MFSL versions, they were oftentimes as good or better.

Nowadays, I just can't bring myself to pay these collector prices. I prefer SACD's to practically all of them, anyway.

I disagree. The recording is the very first part of the source. Even before your CD player or DAC. In my opinion there's no point in having a high end system without having good recordings (and good music obviously).

I agree with the above statement 100%. The recording/mastering/pressing is where it all starts, and no DAC amp or analog output component can save a bad recording. So maybe I should clarify my "i'd never spend $100 on a CD" remark.

What I really meant was, I would never pay $100 for a CD, when the same music, same mastering, can be found... ah... elsewhere, and in these elsewhere's, some one who isn't a fine upstanding man like myself might see fit to ah... get a substantial discount on said recording. like a lot of percent discount. :)