Gilmore Reference Balanced?

Torpedo

The gain isn't the problem, more likely your source is too hot i.e. its output level is above the 2v(4v) spec. That can be fixed by attenuating the signal before it enters the amp. There was a thread on this a few months back...

Yeah I agree with this people to tend blame gain issues on amps but I think a good bit of the time it's because of really high output levels from sources. A good example, my modwright 9100es has a pretty damn hot output with my KGSS it's almost too loud at about 9 on the SA. When I had my APL 3910 in the chain I had much greater usable range on the SA, and the APL 3910s output is right at 2V.

• 6 months later...
Man, pics like this makes me miss my Balanced Reference (and its 41-step SA's). I wonder who has that amp now...

I sold it to 88Sound on headfi (local guy) then was going to buy it back recently but he sold it before I could.

I believe I have this amp now. I've had it for maybe a year, and it is fabulous. I replaced my RSA Apache with it and I've never looked back. Of all the dynamic amps I've owned, it's my favorite. I'm currently using it with Qualias and an Esoteric SA-60. Much obliged to everyone who let this amp slip away and into my system! ;D