Gilmore Reference Balanced?

Torpedo

Someone in my country is selling one of these for 1000 euros + shipping in a quite good condition. It has separate power supply (as every Gilmore Reference I guess) with oversized trannie, Blackgates :rolleyes: internal Vampire wire :confused: and is fully balanced with separate RCA and XLR inputs and also SE and balanced outs with a switch in the back to chose either RCA or XLR, and separated stepped attenuators for each channel.

I'd be thankful if anyone could tell me what was the original price for this amp, whether in your opinion it's worth trying it at that used price, and some technical specs, which I haven't found at the Headamp page.

Considering I already own a RPX-100 and a Headmaster, and that I'm not really looking for "improvements", it would be more one of my "learning" purchases than a definitive one. However knowing if it's worth that money, or if I'd better save my dough for other more interesting devices, like perhaps a β-22, would be very appreciated.

Rgrds

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the prompt reply. These are pics of the actual unit for sale:

DSCN2297.jpg

DSCN2299.jpg

DSCN2298.jpg

Was this a custom order? Is this a fake :o?

I suppose this was a custom order and probably more expensive than the price you stated. Would you tell me where to find some technical data?

Rgrds

No, I did a Mac OS X spotlight search for "gilmore reference black gates spain" and this is the only one. What kind of technical data? It is a balanced version of this amplifier HeadWize - Project: A Pure Class A Dynamic Headphone Amplifier by Kevin Gilmore with 1 of the power supplies for each channel. GoldPoint stepped attenuators and 2200uf FK? black gate capacitors, vampire silver wiring in the signal path

No, I did a Mac OS X spotlight search for "gilmore reference black gates spain" and this is the only one. What kind of technical data? It is a balanced version of this amplifier HeadWize - Project: A Pure Class A Dynamic Headphone Amplifier by Kevin Gilmore with 1 of the power supplies for each channel. GoldPoint stepped attenuators and 2200uf FK? black gate capacitors, vampire silver wiring in the signal path

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I've checked the link and it says the output power, depending on the PS VDC and used resistors, can be 1.125w @ 32R and 0.125 @ 300R, but not sure if this is for the bridged version, or the "standard" one. I don't know if the Gilmore Referece uses the bridged circuit or the normal one.

I'd like to know, if possible, what's the actual power rating of this unit, and how would it handle hard to drive cans like R10, D5000 or K701. Also seeing some distortion spectrum graphs would be very interesting.

Rgrds

it will drive all of those very well.

Very well... power-wise, "sounds"-wise, musically-wise...? :P

I'm not electronically knowledgeable, but for my short understanding, the design features as explained by Kevin at HeadWize introducing the project, it seems interesting. It's a very different matter how it does for music, but that's something I won't know unless I take the plunge... :palm: Oh no, I really don't need another amp :D

Rgrds

well, sound wise and musicality wise would be up to the listener, wouldn't it? from a technical perspective, it will kick ass with all of them, that's all i'm saying. i love the sound of the Gilmore stuff, but hey, you might like audio diarrhea, i don't know.

LOL well, not really, however what I think sounds musically engaging, purposeful, interesting and coherent under my evaluation standards could well be BS for other people focusing their attention on different results and performance features. As you said, up to the listener's ear ;) Knowing that technically it drives difficult phones well is a good starting point.

I have no experience on KG designs. There seems to be quite opposite opinions about them -soundwise, from the design point of view there's some agreement that they're well thought-, so I really don't know what to expect. Unfortunately I've been exposed to some very well thought designs on paper that made really lifeless music for my ears, though many people loved the sound. It's a pity that audio is such a lonely hobby.

Rgrds

the KG designs are, to my ears, essentially neutral. that's a good thing, to me.

what source are you using?

On digital a CEC-TL2 transport to a Museatex Bidat (John Wright modified). For vinyl a NA Hyperspace with Shelter 901 to a EAR 834P (with some "enhancements") thru Music First (S&B) step up. I also use a Sansui TU-X1 tuner, but to be honest I only listen to it using the speakers, it's too good for phones hahaha.

If the Gilmore Reference is really neutral and transparent to the sources, I'll probably like it. I spent too much time and effort finding the right sources to spoil it with colored amps. I haven't found a trully neutral HPs amp yet, so I can live better with one on the warm side of things than with a hyperdetailed-analytical one. The music lover brain wins over the audio-nuts one.

Rgrds

'Best' SS Head Amp for a 'Tube Guy'? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

The Gilmore Dynamic (i.e., Dynalo) is a very neutral amp. The Balanced Reference is what would be known as a Dynamid (coined when the Dynahi came out), and should be quite similar to the current Headamp GS-X sound-wise (pretty much identical architecture). More boutique parts in this one than the GS-X.

I always loved that reference to the Millett hybrid as "beer goggles" vs. the Gilmore as "the cold clear light of day".

This unit was f/s on head-fi a few years back. The user name was something like bullX or something similar to that. He was in Spain, so it seems that this unit has stayed there. I think you would like it with that CEC/museatex (it is a great source.)

The price is good enough that even if you don't like it, there isn't much to loose anyhow. [provided you could find a buyer right there in the EU]

Thanks for the replies.

LOL This World is really small ;D. The guy selling it now isn't Bull-X, but I know Bull-X, we're "almost friends". I've had some of his gear at home and he came over my place, but he lives in another city so we can't join frequently. He probably got the GR after selling his Stax 4040 rig. I had this at my place for almost two months, but I decided not to keep it.

Looks like Bull-X sold it to the current seller about two years ago. I'll ask him about it.

I think that sound-wise it could be of my liking and is worth a try. It's a pity there's no more technical info and measurements available. Not that I trust graphs more than my own ears or that I base my purchases on measured performance, but I like correlating what I hear with numbers.

The current seller has had it up for sale for 10 months already, so if I disliked it and decided to resell it, it wouldn't be easy :( However I'm more prone to keep things than to sell them, I've only sold the very expensive and bulky stuff. I'm still keeping an old Theta Data II and a Sansui TU-919 I haven't used for years "just in case", so go figure :palm:

Rgrds

<snip>

The current seller has had it up for sale for 10 months already, so if I disliked it and decided to resell it, it wouldn't be easy :( However I'm more prone to keep things than to sell them, I've only sold the very expensive and bulky stuff. I'm still keeping an old Theta Data II and a Sansui TU-919 I haven't used for years "just in case", so go figure :palm:

Maybe he'll accept them in trade? :P

I'd still think if you're willing to ship internationally, it should be easy to sell a gilmore reference.

depending on the operating parameters of the country in question..., if it is 220AC/50hz, then it should be ok. If not it would require a transformer change. Aren't Gilmore Reference toridals custom?

I've contacted the guy selling it asking whether it's 230V/50Hz or I'd need a transformer, but he didn't reply yet. Maybe Justin can say if the unit can be easily switched to work either voltage. That would make things way easier.

I don't think he's interested in trades, he's selling his headphones gear and said he got his speakers system "done". In any case I wouldn't get rid of the Sansui tuner, it's not the same as the TU-X1, but gets so damn close that's an excellent back up unit. Those TU-X1 are really scarce and expensive these days, but very few people can fix and adjust them properly, in my country nontheless, so if mine failed...

Rgrds

If the unit he is selling is your "almost friend" :P bull-x's ex-unit, then it is 230V/50hz. If it would have been easily converted to 120V, I would have snatched that amp a few years back when it came up for sale. IIRC Justin mentioned at the time that it would require commissioning a custom toroidal transformer.

If the unit he is selling is your "almost friend" :P bull-x's ex-unit, then it is 230V/50hz. If it would have been easily converted to 120V, I would have snatched that amp a few years back when it came up for sale. IIRC Justin mentioned at the time that it would require commissioning a custom toroidal transformer.

Thanks for the info mate. I'm still waiting for X-Bull's or seller's replies. They must be on holidays hehehe. If the unit needs trannie replacement to make it 120V it'd be harder to sell. Anyway, if I take it I hopefully won't need to sell it 8)

Rgrds

I remember Justin telling me the same thing (i.e., more cost) when I asked him about converting one to 230v when I was trying to sell my Balanced Reference (and had few folks from Europe ask me about it).

EDIT - FWIW, I remember preferring GS-X over my Balanced Reference a wee bit. My Balanced Reference didn't have quite the same spec (it was a single chassis model with BG caps, upgraded silver wiring, and 41-step SA's) as the one you're looking at, but it's pretty close. Of course, please take this with a whole pound of salt as it's been ages since I've owned either amps.