ATH-AD1000PRM, ATH-ESW10JPN

Fungi

I've been using my 10JPNS in the office the past few days. I'm really impressed with them so far. No special burn in procedure, just listening to music on my ipod. No external amp.

In one of my reference recordings/favorite recordings, This One's For Blanton, I noticed faint talking from Duke Ellington in the background in one section. I dont remember ever picking this up with properly amped HD650s before, and I've listened to this album many, many times. Its my favorite album.

So far I think my HD650s go a bit deeper in the bass, and are far more comfortable for long sessions, but I think I may actually prefer the 10JPNs with jazz. The bass is very well controlled straight out of an ipod, which just amazes me, and they are so neutral, but exciting at the same time. I dont know if its the fact that they're closed, or just the drivers, but they seem to offer up more detail and possibly equal the separation of the HD650s I have.

I'm curious to see what they can do with a good dac and amp, but they make the ipod a much more enjoyable source + amp than my HD650s do. I could live with this setup as is for my office. If I were using these as truly portable headphones, I'd skip an amp entirely. The ipod drives them just fine.

I dont know what burn in will do, but I think people tend to get a little to emphatic about its effects. All I know is it sounds terrific straight out of the box.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been using my 10JPNS in the office the past few days. I'm really impressed with them so far. No special burn in procedure, just listening to music on my ipod. No external amp.

In one of my reference recordings/favorite recordings, This One's For Blanton, I noticed faint talking from Duke Ellington in the background in one section. I dont remember ever picking this up with properly amped HD650s before, and I've listened to this album many, many times. Its my favorite album.

So far I think my HD650s go a bit deeper in the bass, and are far more comfortable for long sessions, but I think I may actually prefer the 10JPNs with jazz. The bass is very well controlled straight out of an ipod, which just amazes me, and they are so neutral, but exciting at the same time. I dont know if its the fact that they're closed, or just the drivers, but they seem to offer up more detail and possibly equal the separation of the HD650s I have.

I'm curious to see what they can do with a good dac and amp, but they make the ipod a much more enjoyable source + amp than my HD650s do. I could live with this setup as is for my office. If I were using these as truly portable headphones, I'd skip an amp entirely. The ipod drives them just fine.

I dont know what burn in will do, but I think people tend to get a little to emphatic about its effects. All I know is it sounds terrific straight out of the box.

Go beg, borrow, or steal a ESW9 to do a comparo. You can't have mine though, so find another source ;)

I'm curious how different the 10 is from the 9. Not that I'd buy the 10...

I now have both the ESW9 and the ESW10JPN. The ESW10JPN is amazing....I am sorry that it is so different but it is. He is a summary of what I am hearing with the ESW10JPN. I would not compare the ESW9 to either of my UE9s or the SR-007MKIIs but I can compare the ESW10JPNs to them. All three are very enjoyable in how they present my music to me. And of course they are all different in their own ways. Here is a small review of the ESW10JPNs that I just wrote up.

Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics) - Page 16 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

I'm very tempted to put off a few things I need to buy and get a few more of these. One for home, one of office and one to keep sealed up for safe keeping.

I'm bringing them back home this weekend and I'll hook them up to my dac and amp and try to see if they scale well. If they can sound better than how they sound now, its really going to be something else :ian:

Stop it! Stop it! :mad:

Its soo freaking difficult to hold back... I'm been saving up for an L3000 for months... you guys are not making it any easier for me.... this costs 1/5th of the L3000 budget... dammit! >:(

I've managed to stay away from the ESW9 soo far, making do with my ES7. Now the ESW10JPN comes along... and its limited.... :(

*I must be experiencing W11jpn withdrawal syndrome since I sold mine off last week... :( *

Its soo freaking difficult to hold back... I'm been saving up for an L3000 for months... you guys are not making it any easier for me.... this costs 1/5th of the L3000 budget... dammit! >:(

I've managed to stay away from the ESW9 soo far, making do with my ES7. Now the ESW10JPN comes along... and its limited.... :(

*I must be experiencing W11jpn withdrawal syndrome since I sold mine off last week... :( *

Don't worry buddy, the ES7 is along the same general lines as the ESW9. The 9 is a bit more even in the bass, and has slightly sexier mids, but they aren't too far off.

Don't worry buddy, the ES7 is along the same general lines as the ESW9. The 9 is a bit more even in the bass, and has slightly sexier mids, but they aren't too far off.

Yeah, I keep telling myself that every time I have the urge to buy the ESW9. Its been working soo far... :)

gotten a chance to get them while affordable to mere mortals.

This is part of the reason why I want one now... At least they are still affordable right now.

They will probably cost an arm an a leg in the future once they are no longer available in stores... they will become like the PS1 and that CD we were discussing in the other thread. :palm:

I'm sure they (ESW10) will hit at least the $650 mark further down the line... >:(

Well, my ESW10s were shipped on Monday. I'm hoping to have them today or tomorrow. That would make for a very nice weekend :)

I see that the price, at least on bluetin, has already gone up over $50 from when I ordered mine (about three weeks ago). That's too bad.

Hey, Dan, send me back the esw9s for a bit so I can compare, then after Tampa, I'll send both the 9s and 10s back to you to try out.

Edited by boomana

I just remembered that I only have two broken ipods, which stinks because I really won't be home this weekend to try them out, and don't want to lug around cds and a pdcp :(

What's funny is I just realized that I had zero problem dropping $500+ on headphones I don't need, but resent having to spend money to fix and/or buy an new ipod when I'd rather spend my money on other things I also don't need but want.

If there's anybody that want's to become the larryminator of AT then you could probably flip the wood ones after they become unavailable for quite a bit more than what you payed for them. You'd have to create a topic of course about how incredible they sound and how it's a shame that you can no longer buy them new.

If there's anybody that want's to become the larryminator of AT then you could probably flip the wood ones after they become unavailable for quite a bit more than what you payed for them. You'd have to create a topic of course about how incredible they sound and how it's a shame that you can no longer buy them new.

Good idea. Chris, buy an extra pair. We can include this in the scope of our CD P&D business.

Keep saving for that L3000 man. It's WELL worth the wait.

The 10JPN's will be around any time in the future. Snag the L3000 first, then start the saving again for the other.