Bryston BDA-1 DAC

Hopstretch

You don't know anything about the guy who compared them tho. I would have to hear them together to decide. Of course, I wouldn't consider a $7k dac :)

:P I'll consider anything. I'm not getting DSD so PCM it is and then it's between the pro ones. The DAC2 is much easier to swing especially if I sell my Bel Canto DAC3 to fund the purchase. That said I was sort of looking at this as a "I'm done" DAC and if there is a step up then I will always want to get it.

Talking with my wife this will likely have to wait until after taxes next year anyway. We shall see.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the details as yet but in the pro industry it appears most of the time all they need is a CC# and that's about it.

This is what I got from them:

Hi Chris,

Yes it is absolutely possible for us to send you the DAC1 MKII out. I have one ready to go. Please call me to arrange I would just need a bit of information from you.

Thanks,

Ryan

I'm heading out of the country for a week at the end of the week so I will not take them up on it right now but it really is very very tempting.

Well I'm off to buy a $5 Visa Bux card :D

I'm pretty sure they place a hold for the entire amount. When I wrote them I said I was fine with "buying" it for a trial. So that's likely what would happen. I emailed the guy and thanked him but told him I would need to delay it until after I get back from my holiday.

Hopefully they won't have one ready to go when I return and I can wait a month or two before I can get a trial unit fall in love and waste, I mean spend, all that money.:palm:

If you do a trial, be sure to post pictures of the internals. Curious to see what's in a pro DAC.

I am almost certain that the internals are identical to the Medea pics of which are here (note the fact that the chip running everything in the Medea is labeled DAC1P1A :)):

6moons audio reviews: Weiss Engineering Jason &*Medea

But I will try. I will do the trial, I'm not going to spend that type of money blind.

I am almost certain that the internals are identical to the Medea pics of which are here (note the fact that the chip running everything in the Medea is labeled DAC1P1A :)):

6moons audio reviews: Weiss Engineering Jason &*Medea

But I will try. I will do the trial, I'm not going to spend that type of money blind.

Thanks for the link. That sticker is cheating ;) Though judging from the DIP formfactor I think it has to be PCM1702. There aren't too many other options in the high end 24 bit category and DIP packaging. Interesting that they're just using dual PLLs to control jitter.

Whoops, my mistake. PCM1702 is just 20 bit. Any guesses what that DAC might be?

Well the the DAC2 is supposed to use the PCM1792. I believe I read that in the DAC1 all upsampling etc is done outside of the DAC chip all it does is the DAC part. 2 chips per channel I believe.

Apparently Daniel Weiss "reserves" the right to replace the chip in the future who knows. DAC chips are cheap but shipping it to Switzerland to get that done would be a PITA.

Well the the DAC2 is supposed to use the PCM1792. I believe I read that in the DAC1 all upsampling etc is done outside of the DAC chip all it does is the DAC part. 2 chips per channel I believe.

Apparently Daniel Weiss "reserves" the right to replace the chip in the future who knows. DAC chips are cheap but shipping it to Switzerland to get that done would be a PITA.

That makes sense. The Stereophile review of the Medea says it has near-perfect 20 bit performance, so that would fit with the PCM1792.

That's cool Chris! You should go for it and inform us all what it's like. I know the feeling in terms of falling for something you don't want to buy just yet, but squash the little angel on your should and listen to the DEVIL! :jacob:

What's the scoop on tracking down a Pacific Microsonics Model 1 or Model 2?

That's cool Chris! You should go for it and inform us all what it's like. I know the feeling in terms of falling for something you don't want to buy just yet, but squash the little angel on your should and listen to the DEVIL! :jacob:

What's the scoop on tracking down a Pacific Microsonics Model 1 or Model 2?

Only 100 Model 2s were made.. I saw one listing awhile back for one in New Jersey for 7500 bucks. They are still pretty actively used in the recording industry, but if you place a wanted ad you might get some hits in this economy.

I don't know anything about the Model 1. Filburt might know more.

I've just added a 4th one to my list that I want to hear: DAD AX24

I found a price list: http://www.transaudiogroup.com/uploads/images/products/DAD/DAD_US090107_Pricelist.pdf

Telarc just replaced all their Meitner gear with DAD and raved heavily about the improvement. Even selected them using a blind A/B.

384/24 vinyl drops :) DXD or DSD too.

Edited by Dreadhead