Bryston BDA-1 DAC

Hopstretch

I like your diet plan. You should write a book.

I started the diet plan since then, though I did ride 20 miles the day I had the poutine. It's an easy diet: don't eat much. I lost 90lbs, ate a lot put back on 50 now I'll lose 60 (already off 15) and call that quits for a while unless I start gaining again.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, according to the specs I can find, the Dodson is also 2.3 V RMS out (unbalanced). And based on some of the other specs I saw on teh interwebs, it seems that 2.3V is not inordinately high. However, I defer to the DAC experts on this one. Regardless, I did not find the need to volume match and the specs seem to provide support for the reason why.

As an aside, I note that the DacMagic's output is 2.1V. Is a difference of .2V a significant amount in these applications?

Random notes:

Output Levels

BDA-1: 2.3V unbalanced; 4.6V balanced

ECD-1: 1.6V unbalanced; 3.2V balanced

DacMagic: 2.1V unbalanced; 4.2V balanced

DA217: 2.3V unbalanced; (can't find specs for balanced)

Is it reasonable to assume that all balanced output will be 2x unbalanced output? Something tells me it's not that simple.

My ECD-1 Vout is significantly higher than 1.6V, I would say it's at least 3.2V unbalanced (matachd to 0.1dB with another source that has 3.5V output) and probably 6.4V balanced.

Are there different versions of ECD-1 (I remember reading the manual and thought to myself that's a high output)?

I always thought the ECD-1 sounded hotter than those specs, but they are indeed the published specs.

TC_Shadow, have you actually measured Vout?

I am reading my ECD1 tech spec from the manual.

Output level (unbalanced) - 2.45V

Output level (balanced) - 4.9V

Max output (balanced) - > 14Vrms

Output impedance - 40Ohm

This corresponds to what I am hearing.

Thanks very much. That would be more consistent with what I perceived when I had the ECD-1. Here are more specs from the manual on the website (the only one I've seen). I wonder if it's a typo or if the revised the unit.

Analog stage

Output level (unbalanced).............................1,6 V

Output level (balanced)..................................3,2 V

Gain (unbalanced).........................................1.6 X (4 dB)

Gain (balanced)...............................................3.2 X (10 dB)

Maximum output (balanced)..........................> 14 V RMS

THD (1 V out, 1 kHz)........................................< 0.002 %

Channel separation ( 1 V out, 1 kHz)...........> 90 dB

Equivalent input noise....................................4 uV

Output impedance..........................................100 Ohm

Analog filter (-3 dB)..........................................75 kHz

The title of this document is ECD1_V1 FWIW.

• 1 month later...

The Bryston BDA-1 was just named The Absolute Sound's "Digital Separate of the Year" for 2009. I recently sold mine because, while proficient, it just didn't have enough "life" or "musicality" or whatever that ethereal/elusive quality is that we all seek. And it reminds me that DAC reviews, just like everything else in our audio world, need to be taken with a large salt lick.

• 1 month later...

Stereophile reviewed the BDA-1 this month. It was basically a rave, but a very superficial review that focused more on how the reviewer set it up than sonic impressions. Atkinson found some problems with the measurements, but I'm not sure what sonic impact they might have because he, of course, was less than clear on that point.