Wireless Problems

Someone please stop me from making a costly mistake by throwing my mac mini and Duet into the street and running it over with my Touareg. For the last month or two I've been getting drop outs that last a second to a few seconds. At first it wasn't that bad but now it's happening more and more. I probably shouldn't punish the mac mini and Duet for the problem. I have Comcast for internet which is faster then the ATT DSL I had before. My set up is that I have a Motorola Cable modem and router. I also have an Apple Time Capsule and use the router that is built in instead of the Motorola. I don't know if having them both at the same time is an issue. I connect my computers to the Apple router, not the Motorola. If this continues, I will probably sell the mac mini and Duet and go back to a cdp, which I really don't want to do. I should add that I connect to the Time Capsule as a drive wirelessly.

Thanks.

Does the cable modem/router have wireless? If so you might as well disable it since you aren't using it. Also if possible it might be worth setting either the cable modem or the apple router to work in bridge mode. That way only one of them will be trying to assign IP's to your devices.

Like Nate said try out another wireless device, it could just be an issue with the mac mini.

First, thanks for the help. I probably should've googled first then asked questions.

I just moved the TC higher up and separated it from the Motorola by about 3'. They were next to each other before. I also followed the instructions in the link provided by Hopstretch and changed the channel to 11. I just started listening and so far no problem but still too early to tell.

Turning off the wireless on the Motorola would be a good idea. I will google to see if I can find instructions. If all of this doesn't work than I will give your idea a try, Nate.

Just turned off the Motorola wireless. So far no dropouts.

Why does your modem have a wireless router in it? Is that what you use to generate your wireless network? Typically they only give you that if you've got "home networking" via your ISP...which they typically charge extra to do. You could just downgrade your service and swap out the wifi/modem combo for a modem only and run that to your TC and use the TC as your wireless router.

Of course there may be a TOS that you violate that way, but.....

Not sure if it's the case here or not, but these days a lot of the modems ISP's give to customers are really modem/wireless routers all in one. They don't cost the ISP's more money and wireless is common/popular enough for them to want to include it.

I needed a cable modem when I switched from dsl to cable for internet. The modem they supply can't connect to a wireless router. I bought this Motorloa as it was a combo. A few months later the Time Capsule came out so I picked it up. I then went to using the built in wireless router instead of the one in the Motorola. I should have turned off the wireless in the Motorola back then. It just wasn't a problem until recently. I have had no issues since changing the channel used to 11 instead of automatic and turning off the Motorola wireless.