SPL Phonitor

Dreadhead

Well I just got confirmation from SPL USA today that they are going to send me a SPL Phonitor for me to do a review on Head-Case and the other site. Good stuff, all I need to do is give them a CC# as collateral.

The only issue I see with this is the fact that the amp has a 9 ohm output impedance which it seems to me would cause some weird responses with low impedance phones (unless their impedance doesn't vary much).

I probably won't get it for a couple weeks but hopefully I'll get it before Christmas.

The only issue I see with this is the fact that the amp has a 9 ohm output impedance which it seems to me would cause some weird responses with low impedance phones (unless their impedance doesn't vary much).

I wouldn't worry about that. The Menace's output impedance is quite a bit higher than that and most who listened to it with Grados couldn't have cared less about what the output impedance measurement said the amp should perform like.

The only issue I see with this is the fact that the amp has a 9 ohm output impedance which it seems to me would cause some weird responses with low impedance phones

It is probably not ideal, but it is also not necessarily a huge concern. My experience says that the lower the Z out the better for Grados, but anything up to about 8 or 9 ohms will have a decent damping factor, and assuming enough current will perform fine. You could, of course, use a stepdown transformer/autoformer of some sort to improve things.

With regards to the output impedance thanks for the replies. If Nate and Justin don't think it'll be an issue so I assume it will not be :)

KirkWall: The amp is SE. Unfortunately it's not balanced. If the review goes well I'm thinking of asking them if they have plans to make the cross feed and functions in a separate box and let people use their own headphone amps.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I saw an impedance graph for the UE11 a while back. It was all across the board. They list the impedance as 18 Ohms just because that's what it happens to be at 1KHz, but if I remember correctly the impedance dips much lower and goes much higher than that at certain frequencies. A 9 ohm output impedance would severely throw off the frequency response with a load like that, and if the impedance varies with the amplitude of the signal as well, it could cause harmonic distortion. Anyway, I'm no EE and don't want to sound like I know what I'm talking about, but that could be interesting to explore if you have any multi-way IEMs around.