Anything better than the CI VDA2+VAC1 around the same cost?

Regg

I've owned the VDA2+VAC1 for about a year now, and there are two criticisms from The Great DAC Search thread that I agree with: that the rendering of more complex passages can be somewhat "messy", and a little 'raw' sounding from my perspective; and that there is a bit of "shrillness" audible in the top end at times. It doesn't help that my speakers are not very forgiving either.

I know the VDA2 is a good DAC--it wiped the floor with the OMZ DAC I owned--and I may be nit-picking a bit--but I was wondering if there is anything else at this price point (used or otherwise) that would be a better selection for my system. Admittedly I haven't compared the VDA2 to much else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

the apogee is a great unit or a modded transdac is killer as well. We just did a quick and dirty shoot out of the

modded transdac, parasound 1600 (?), assemblage 3.1 and the eastsound black signature edition and the modded transdac came out on top. Now modding the assemblage or parasound should cause them to leapfrog over the transdac.

I continue to be amazed at this little dac and the natural sound it produces. So if you want something quick that sounds great then the Duet is the ticket. If you are willing to go an a bit of a hunt and then track down he mods for the Sonic Frontiers units that is a great way to go as well.

I certainly would like to have a Mac but had to take the cheap way out with a small MSI laptop instead (XP--Foobar or J.River--ASIO4ALL--USB--yadda-yadda). Don't want to skimp out on the DAC though.:)

The DIY route certainly seems like a satisfying way to go; too bad I don't have the skillz...there's a guy named DaHong in NY who modified a Zhaolu and made a huge 100w PS for it...sounding very impressive next to a Weiss and Lector CDP. I don't think it was a cheap mod though....

Shrug I've heard zap filtered modded Zhaolus and several Ori variants. While I admit that there may be counter examples that disprove my blanket statement, but I feel like it's a safe bet for me to make this statement.

Do you have a counter example? Or do you dislike blanket statements in general?

Nah no offense taken.

I have poor social skills. I think that's pretty evident.

But I personally don't have problems with blanket statements as I feel they are everpresent in our society. In head-fi and head-case as well. I see people saying things like all Sennheisers suck.. all Grados suck... all dynamics suck... etc etc. When I see someone say that I just intuitively add a " for me." to it. Still they are blanket statements yeah?

Anyway, where does one draw the line? You can even say that when someone says a R10/Qualia/HE90/whatever is a shitty headphone that's a blanket statement since they aren't accounting for all possibilities as far as gear combos and modifications go.

I'm not sure that all Zhaolu mods are created equal, but the one I mentioned above was modified by recording engineer Da-Hong Seetoo, who said of the Zhaolu: "the original power supply was too small and too close to the circuit", and that the Oritek mod "had no head room and distorts a lot". I'm not certain of what his specific mods were, but I recall that the unit he upgraded had a huge external PS and sounded very good to me. I was not hearing it on a familiar system, however.

Haven't had the privilege of hearing a Filburt modded SF DAC, but the positive remarks around here are very intriguing. Do they ever come up for sale on Ebay or A'gon?

• 4 weeks later...