Turning One Headphone into another?

Dreadhead

hmm well I will think about that, I had not thought about it that way but I can see where you're coming from. Luckily I'm into SS so I can't care about tube harmonic distortion :)

As far as turning the phones from one to another it appears to work though.

Outside of some woodies, I guess most high end headphones should have very low levels of harmonic distortion anyway. :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I ain't got no HD650's, neither.

Lets not get into that people. Yes there is distortion and yes it's very small....
Pfff. We'll get into it if I feel like getting into it. I just don't feel like getting into it right now. There is no "let's not get into that" condescending "I own this thread" crap on head-case, there is only backs of heads and shovels. Edited by Dusty Chalk

Yeah, I ain't got no HD650's, neither.Pfff. We'll get into it if I feel like getting into it. I just don't feel like getting into it right now. There is no "let's not get into that" condescending "I own this thread" crap on head-case, there is only backs of heads and shovels.

Actually on head-case I can be condescending if I want to :P especially if it was a joke. People take boards way to seriously, even here. I don't own this thread it's a free for all as you and I both know. If I wanted that bull crap I would have posted over at HF and you don't need to explain the rules to me (in a rather condescending manner I might add).

So has anyone tried it? Thing that amazes me is how well all phase information is still preserved (not that it shouldn't be).

This weekend I'll see if I can turn the 650s into d5000s, the 5000s into 650s and something into the ESP950s :) By I'll see I mean I'll see if I have time.

In other news it looks like I'll be switching back to foobar2000 since they finally fixed the issue with Hi Rez WMA

Actually on head-case I can be condescending if I want to
It's true.
:P especially if it was a joke.
Except, like Billy, you forgot the funny.
People take boards way to seriously, even here. I don't own this thread it's a free for all as you and I both know. If I wanted that bull crap I would have posted over at HF and you don't need to explain the rules to me (in a rather condescending manner I might add).
You did, and it's true, I can be quite condescending.

well, noise and distortion aren't the same thing, but I'm still interested to see how this all turns out :)

Oh I know :) but I'm just showing that the only distortion I would be introducing is the noise in the signal and the distortion of whatever the target being modeled may be.

As someone else pointed out (quite rightly) the convolution process is purely linear so harmonic distortion is not going to happen so all I can see is the noise problems and the distortion of the actual target and transducer.

Graph of the harmonic distortion products of a Senn 650 and Beyer DT880

graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=255&graphID[]=651

No way you can make either one sound like the other as convolution can't do harmonic distortion and other non-linear effects. Such as breakup, and peaks & nulls caused by resonances and cancellation.

Actually a lot of the peaks and lulls caused by cavity resonances are linear on the base frequency and can be captured. That said the wavelengths of audio sound waves in air are huge compared to the cavity of headphones. This is actually why they use convolutions to model reflections from walls.

The harmonic distortion products as I said before I can't do anything about but 70 db is a fair amount of headroom. That said if you listen really hard for that signal it won't be there.

Of course everything I've said is impossible.

Well over the weekend I tried to turn the SA500s into the HD650s and the results were less than impressive: There were odd distortions and resonances going on. It turns out that at least for the SA5000 the distortion products are large at some frequencies and hence have a large effect on the sound. At 6710Hz I measured 20% distortion (though this is where there is a huge dip in response).

I always said that this method needed a well behaved source to work and it appears the SA5000s are not it. On the other hand with the 650s as the base the method works great and you get the SA5000 sound beautifully and you get flat sound after the correction as well.

I am pleased with the progress. I rewrote everything to work in Octave now so it's all on one machine.

• 4 months later...

I'm trying this right now. Having never heard an SA5000, its hard to measure the convolver's level of success. I will say the overall soundstage has shrunk to the size of a Mardi Gras dubloon (more Grado like), and the upper midrange and treble is a little etched, and there is less bass. Sounds unnatural.

I'm trying this right now. Having never heard an SA5000, its hard to measure the convolver's level of success. I will say the overall soundstage has shrunk to the size of a Mardi Gras dubloon (more Grado like), and the upper midrange and treble is a little etched, and there is less bass. Sounds unnatural.

That doesn't really sound right.. the SA5000 has a pretty wide soundstage. The rest could be ~correctish my memory isnt as sound in those areas.

What are you using for your numbers? I.E. how are you doing this without a DEQ2496?

This was my convolver based fun no DEQ required, just the foobar convolver plugin.

When I did it A/B the sound stage conveyed as well but that was a long while ago and the SA5000 is long gone at this point so I can't check. If you're interested I guess I could try and turn 650s into modded Denon D5000s too.

Well for giggles I made up the 650 to D5000 converter and it works amazingly well. I can email it to whoever but I can't attach it because it's over the limit.

(I switched to 32bit WAV files to keep the noise floor ridiculously low)

If anyone is interested let me know. I've been doing A/B with the D5000 and the soundstage conveys.

This was my convolver based fun no DEQ required, just the foobar convolver plugin.

When I did it A/B the sound stage conveyed as well but that was a long while ago and the SA5000 is long gone at this point so I can't check. If you're interested I guess I could try and turn 650s into modded Denon D5000s too.

Ah, I remembered wrong, I thought you did it with the DEQ. My mistake.

So you gave your files to Jack? Or does the question still stand -- from whence did Jack get his convolver files/numbers/whatever?