Turning One Headphone into another?

Dreadhead

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think he ended up getting different microphones, but that information is in a different thread.

EDIT: I'll stop answering his questions for him, he can answer himself without having to look things up. It was some calibrated something-or-other, that he has fitted into a piece of styrofoam as a baffle.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

They're shipping this week. He did get back in touch with me. I actually considered getting a second pair right away (for recording cat sounds...yes, really, my housemate's cat has the greatest voice, it "projects") -- and even posed the question to him -- but he said the ones I'm getting will be fine for that application, so kudos to him for resisting the temptation of an easy sale, and taking the high, honest road instead.

They're shipping this week. He did get back in touch with me. I actually considered getting a second pair right away (for recording cat sounds...yes, really, my housemate's cat has the greatest voice, it "projects") -- and even posed the question to him -- but he said the ones I'm getting will be fine for that application, so kudos to him for resisting the temptation of an easy sale, and taking the high, honest road instead.

Dusty your answers were all right so we are all good :)

The IRFs that I have created here are IRFs that model the difference between the response of one pair of headphones to another pair of headphones in the same conditions (in this case attached to a ECM8000 measurement mic with a building foam coupler). They do not capture the distortion properties of the heaphones or some of the differences in geometry that do effect the sound but they do get very close. It's much the same idea as what Smyth does with their system.

The 650 to SA5000 track is here (go to the post for the attachment):

Well here is the IRF I have for turning HD650s into SA5000s, Download the convolver pluging for Foobar and use this and you will see:

foobar2000: Download foobar2000 and optional components

Enjoy one and all.

And I've just retried (with a 32 bit file and the original file) it and I'm happy with the results.

Well even if I'm completely misremembering the SA5000 soundstage there's no way that it was grado like/dubloon-like

I'm listenening to a pair of HD650s turned into SA5000s and I'm very happy with the soundstage it seems perfectly wide to me. What's missing possibly is the background that the 650s give; the people are just floating out there far left and far right. That may be why the poster above thinks it's small.

One last thing: I recommend that you turn down the gain to -1.0dB or so since I appear to have cut it a bit close to digital clipping in the file.

Edited by Dreadhead

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Chris, do you run your DEQ2496 digitally, or analog-ly? I have an aversion to Behringer, so am thinking of getting the Alesis DEQ230 or DEQ230D, and am pretty sure I want to go digitally, since I am unconfident as to the quality of Alesis' DAC's (I know the ones in the Masterlink are fine, just not sure about the DEQ230). I'm pretty sure you mentioned the Behringer's DACs before, but you've been talking about DACs a lot lately, so am wondering if maybe you've updated your approach since then.