Got the turntable, now for the rest.

The Pieman

I have managed to score a Rega Planar 3 for about $US70 which I think ? is a good deal. It doesn't have a tonearm, but is otherwise is in good working condition.

This was somewhat of an impulse buy, as bloody usual. And I am just about to prove my ignorance of all things vinyl.

This will be hooked to a WOO 2. So I am going to need a tonearm, cartridge and a Phono stage of some sort. I am willing to spend a few hundred on each. So a few questions:-

Is the Rega RB300 a good tonearm for the money?? I have seen different opinions here and on the other site. I could be very easily persuaded to look at other options.

What is a suitable cartridge to go with the RB300 or the other options? This is a subject that I have no idea about.

I am very ignorant about what makes a reasonable phono stage and what doesn't. The Cambridge 640p looks reasonable for the money. Is the Musical Fidelity X-LPS 3 a worthy step up? All other options considered.

You will have to excuse me here but one is clueless when it comes to vinyl.

I mostly agree with swt61. I'd just add that you need the VTA adjustment ring to make that Rega really compatible with that cart -or any other being a bit VTA finicky-, and making sure the Hagerman, which I've never tried, has at about 70dB gain or in the worst case 65dB at its MC input. The DL-103 has a low output and requires quite some gain and a very low noise level to shine as it can.

Yes the Rega RB300 is an excellent value IMO, and it mates quite well with the also excellent valued Denon DL-103.

I'd recommend the Hagerman Bugle phono stage.

This will give you an excellent little spinning rig IMHO.

good recommendation. if you don't want to mess with a LOMC for your first cart, also consider the AT440MLa. Everytime I run this cart it never fails to impress me at how little it does wrong. Also its higher output will make it easier to run with a standard Bugle, and in general it will be compatible with more phonos then the DL-103 since its an MM and runs well loaded at 47K.

The DL-103 is my cart, and I don't want to dissuade you from using it, but running an MC as a first cart can be a pain in the ass when it comes to getting enough gain, step up transformers, or finding the right loading for your setup (I like mine at 100 ohms, others prefer as high as 1,000ohms).

The main reason to buy a Rega table is for the arm, but the price you paid for just the table is fine. An RB300 or even an RB250 is what you want. But I've never heard a Rega table, just regurgitating things I've heard about them.

actually in this range of table with the rega I'd probably go Sumiko Pearl great cart for the money and since it is MM no loading or output issues to contend with. These are far easier to set up and get right and it is the best sub $100 cart I have heard. Not the last word in resolution but super musical and a great toe tapper.

The rega 250/300 is a no brainer just try and find one on Audiogon on the cheap. The hageman phono is good as is the bellari for the money. Neither is a destination nor is the Sumiko but you will get a low fuss easy to set up rig.

Factor in a digital scale and a set up protractor of some sort. I like the MoFi one but there are lots of good ones and some free ones out there.