GS-1000's Arrived

tkam

Well my pair of gs1000s arrived today. One of my largest complaints with Grados has always been comfort or for me total lack of comfort. I don't think I've ever been able wear Grados before without my ears starting to hurt after an hour. The GS-1000's solve this problem and are the first Grados I've been able to wear for extended periods of time without any discomfort. So for me the comfort is a big plus, I wonder what took them so long but at least they figured it out.

Few observations about their sound so far...

Soundstage is big for Grados I'm not convinced its that big compared to other headphones though. I think what might be giving people that impression is their extremely good instrument seperation and placement. The GS1000 are very resolving headphones, I feel bad for anyone using these with a crappy source and/or amp. If you have any weaknesses in your system they will make it very apparent and then whack you over the head with them. It's still early on, but I think they have some real promise.

Here's a few bad pictures for now, I really need to get a camera that has a real lens, oh and a tripod would help too.

gs1k%20001.jpg

gs1k%20002.jpg

gs1k%20003.jpg

gs1k%20005.jpg

Congrats!

I?m surprised that you aren?t concerned that the dust from the top of your subwoofer may leech into the driver and suspension of your new GS-1000?s causing an increase of the fundamental resonance breakup mode, thereby generating an exponential amplification of the secondary and tertiary distortion characteristics.

You mean you need MORE bass? :P

Hehe I like to feel things go BOOM when I'm watching movies ;D.

Anyways back to the GS-1000 thoughts....

The midrange, I think this will be what makes people love or hate these. If you want the midrange bloom that the RS-1's have I wouldn't bother with the GS-1000s they just don't have it. If your looking for a more linear midrange though the GS-1000s could be the ticket. Although I do think it is a bit recessed compared to the rest of the frequency spectrum.

Hehe I like to feel things go BOOM when I'm watching movies ;D.

Anyways back to the GS-1000 thoughts....

The midrange, I think this will be what makes people love or hate these. If you want the midrange bloom that the RS-1's have I wouldn't bother with the GS-1000s they just don't have it. If your looking for a more linear midrange though the GS-1000s could be the ticket. Although I do think it is a bit recessed compared to the rest of the frequency spectrum.

yeah, they don't have the sweet mids of the HP2, but the HP2 doesn't have the freq extension in both directions like the GS1K has. I say, buy em both!

Congrats on your new cans :dance:

You know... Tyll doesn't like the way they sound... just putting that out there.

*ducks and hides*

;D

Sorry, I had to after reading the MM thread.

Why you? I ought?.

Since you read that thread I?ll say I found your statement ever so slightly entertaining, but don?t push it. Seriously, it?s just a little joke.

You mean you need MORE bass? :P

When I heard the GS-1000s at the HE2006 on two different set-ups I liked them a lot to say the least. So I am a bit shocked that the GS-1000s out of my EC2A3 tube amp, interconnects Neutral Reference, and Apollo the bass is so over powering. So much bass, in fact, I am drowning in it. I hope it gets better (less bass please). Yet I must admit the GS-1000s sound much better (more balanced less bass but still more than sufficient) directly out of my Sony D-555 Discman. I think my main rig has a lot of low end, which the HD650s are able to balance out and provide better detail whereas the GS1000 (at this early stage) are just soupy heavy bass with hard to hear mids and an expansive soundstage.

Cosmetically speaking these are probably the nicest wooden earcups and leather headband, and cable job I?ve seen out of the two RS-1s and Tyll?s GS-1000s.

They arrived yesterday and have almost at 24 hours. Please get better, less bass and more balance in between the ranges.

Yeah tkam, when I heard these at a recent MD minimeet I was less than impressed. We had a Rega Apollo hooked up to an Earmax Anni., Modified Earmax Pro and a really modified Earmax somethng or other that probably wasn't an Earmax anymore.

Funny thing was when we hooked it up to a solid state amp it sounded better than out of the tube amps...particularly in the midrange. With tubes it sounded a bit recessed and veiled dare I say. Of course this is with meet conditions....etc. limited time...blah blah unfamiliar source....etc. I wasn't immediately impressed with them, but with the right amp/source combo I had the feeling they could be something really special...I would agree with the imaging you mentioned in the first post.

Yeah tkam, when I heard these at a recent MD minimeet I was less than impressed. We had a Rega Apollo hooked up to an Earmax Anni., Modified Earmax Pro and a really modified Earmax somethng or other that probably wasn't an Earmax anymore.

Funny thing was when we hooked it up to a solid state amp it sounded better than out of the tube amps...particularly in the midrange. With tubes it sounded a bit recessed and veiled dare I say. Of course this is with meet conditions....etc. limited time...blah blah unfamiliar source....etc. I wasn't immediately impressed with them, but with the right amp/source combo I had the feeling they could be something really special...I would agree with the imaging you mentioned in the first post.

To be fair, Grados sound like crap out of Earmaxes, Pro or otherwise. Too smooshy. That's one of the tubiest tubed amps out there.

They come broken in too since I had a buddy at Postal pull them off the line so I could test them out at home. :dance:

Lol. I made my Mom open the package and hook them up to an ipod.

hehehe... cant wait to hear what you think of them. ;)

I'm most interested to know just how jewish the bass is (thanks Welly!). :P

Expect a big review before one of my headphones goes bye bye.

Biggie.