Stacker II

Guest sacd lover

So I had some time over the week to dig into the amp more and WOW it's sound is right up there with the best that I have owned. While I have now had AD2ks, PS-1s and 650s paired with the Stacker my thoughts are primarily regarding the sound with the AD2ks as that is what I have spent 95% of my time with.

In short this amp is every bit of good as the other top flight amps I have owned. It may not be better than the others have owned (I'd need to hear them side by side) but it is right up there with them and I'd be comfortable having this amp side by side with any amp out there. The soundstage is wide open with the feel that you can mentally walk around the images in the soundstage. (no mental Jedi mind tricks needed) The amp has great balance and frequency extension as well.

I am listening to the 650s now and they sound great but I think I prefer the ad2ks with this amp well and probably overall as well. I am excited to see what the stacker can do with the HD800s when our friends in Germany ship them.

Al, Ric and Grahame heard the amp last night briefly before heading off to see Bill Frisell so they can chime in with their thoughts as well.

Edited by jp11801

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have liked much more time with the Stacker Dos, but JP was late as usual. :rolleyes: BUT, the time I did spend was very enjoyable. Wow is a good word for this amp at around $1K. It was very quiet with nice clean power from my Shunyata conditioner and Crystal Cable PC, which I think JP said was an improvement over his setup on the same circuit as the fridge. :rolleyes::rolleyes: No kidding.

Anyway, the sound was fantastic with the PS-1 and for the minute or two I heard it with the 650s. Given where I was on the volume knob with the PS-1 -- about 10/11:00 -- I thought it might strain a bit with the 650s, but I was wrong. Full sound and plenty of power. Turned it up only slightly from where I had been with PS-1. The sound is not tubey in any negative way, but it has the warmth and body of a quality tube amp. Really detailed but not etched or edgy. Good soundstage, good tone, good everything.

We couldn't compare it to the P-1 because of limited time and PC sharing, but it is surely a very strong amp and fighting way above its weight class as JP likes to say about bang for buck components. Great work dBel, but sorry we didn't take any smiling faces pics. ;)

surely a very strong amp and fighting way above its weight class as JP likes to say about bang for buck components. Great work dBel, but sorry we didn't take any smiling faces pics. ;)

I could always charge more of it makes him feel better ;D , thanks for the kind words and pleased you all liked what you heard..dB

• 1 month later...
good to hear ..dB

Is this or any similar project ever going to get published? Headwize is still roached and Chu hasn't updated the news page in over a month so it's hard to think that good things are happening there. It'd be a shame if this project just went away.

Earl and others:

What would I hear diferently or better that I can't with my SP MPX3 Slam SE? I have recently noticed that, when listening to my new Audio Note CD Player, the SP amp lacked the inner resolution of the music compared to an SS amp I use (Blue Circle SBH). Surprisingly, also it didn't seem to "mate" as well musically with the AN CDP as the SS headamp. Music sounded flatter, not as organic. I did not hear such differences with an Arcam source. I wonder if something like the Stacker might also work well with the AN gear.

But sad if the design dies, I agree, and/or no one picks it up commercially as happened with the Mullet amp.

DB they were the 6sn7 to 7n7 adapters
aaah

the amps sounded great btw
:D

CJ looked like an incredible event, congrats JP

But sad if the design dies....

Is this or any similar project ever going to get published? ..... It'd be a shame if this project just went away.

Not dead just resting ........ I won't let it go away ;)

did you get a chance to listen to it Nate?

@Frihed89 , afraid I can't answer your question specifically as I don't have an SP amp to directly compare but one of its strengths is resolving detail.

..dB

• 4 months later...

When I had my Stacker II running it was the best sounding amp I've ever heard. It is essentially an SET amp with transistors instead of the transformer. There were some issues with the powersupply and buffers oscillating. I understand that this is being correcting and I can't wait, this amp will be a revolution.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you build one if the project was never published (based on what was said above)?

After batman, mains_hum, jwags and myself had built the original prototypes and Alex had developed the design a little further, we went on to build a few more of these prototypes. Regal and Blooze had expressed interest in being part of this process and Alex had invited them to join in. There were a few issues and regal's build seemed particularly sensitive. Blooze didn't seem to have too much luck either and eventually sold his unfinished build to smeggy on an open FS transaction on HF ( it needed a little love but was coaxed into a functional amp and hence the reason smeggy has one ) . The design has been ever evolving and one could argue that the amp I love so dearly bears little relation to the amp that sparked into existence last night, but my ears tell me differently.

The Regal tale may differ from this too , it all comes down to who tells the tale.

..dB

The stacker II is every bit as good as people say. It's incredible, powerful and sounds simple sublime to my ears. I was very lucky to be able to get the proto blooze had and it's been an absolute joy to use. Mine is still a bit dangerous to normal phones if used wrongly until a more suitable PSU is available as there is no offset/surge protection going on but used with care it's just dandy with the almost indestructable orthos.

Once the teething issues are out of the way, this will be a huge hit I predict. I fully plan on getting a second one as a work rig because, daft as it might sound, I've been lugging this thing back and forth to work and back daily.. it's that good.

Once the teething issues are out of the way, this will be a huge hit I predict. I fully plan on getting a second one as a work rig because, daft as it might sound, I've been lugging this thing back and forth to work and back daily.. it's that good.

:chair: I plan to get one as well for now :cool: The final stacker is looking great btw.

The Regal tale may differ from this too , it all comes down to who tells the tale.

..dB

Yea mine had an oscillation in the PS which messed with the buffer, but Alex recently told me there is a new PS and the project will be renewed soon. I can't wait and can't thank Alex enough for all his work for the DIY community. I absolutely love my Bijou. The unique thing about the Stacker II is it will give a pure unmolested SET sound. I still have mine in pieces ready for a new buffer board and PS board.

I think I will build a Soha II while I'm waiting, it seems to get good reviews.

To make things a little less precarious when carrying the thing around I wanted some 6sn7 tubes as they stick out less than the 6f8g+adapter so I bought a pair of Sylvania 6sn7wgta brown base, short bottles with the rounded black plates. Holy crap these tubes are energetic!

They are fast, solid and very 'crunchy' if that's the word I'm looking for. Very dynamic and energy levels bordering on fatigue. Outstanding tubes for metal, perfect for rocking some mushroomhead etc. Thankfully I decided on used and the matched pair only cost $30 so, nice surprise for the cash.

• 2 weeks later...
To make things a little less precarious when carrying the thing around I wanted some 6sn7 tubes as they stick out less than the 6f8g+adapter so I bought a pair of Sylvania 6sn7wgta brown base, short bottles with the rounded black plates. Holy crap these tubes are energetic!

They are fast, solid and very 'crunchy' if that's the word I'm looking for. Very dynamic and energy levels bordering on fatigue. Outstanding tubes for metal, perfect for rocking some mushroomhead etc. Thankfully I decided on used and the matched pair only cost $30 so, nice surprise for the cash.

I used 12SN7's cause they cost about 1/10 the price, this amp when the bugs are worked out will be very veratile.

Has anyone heard more about the new PS & buffers, the proto website I understand was compromised so I've been out of the loop. I finished my SOHA II and actually prefer it to my maxed out Bijou in many ways so I am really chomping at the bit to get this Stacker II to work.

With my EHHA out of commission for the time being, Don graciously loaned me his beloved Orange original stacker again yesterday.

I am not missing the EHHA one bit..this is such a beautiful amp..sigh..can't wait to see it out in the wild. Stays true to the fact that it is the best amp I have heard to date. It is hard to do anything else but be drawn in to the music.