ZepSaph's musings on meet impressoins of various headphones, the HD800 and Jap/Pop

ZephyrSapphire

I wonder if these headphones can do well with Japanese music.

Ultrasone PRO750 & ED.9 Fail.

Denon Marklblabla Fail.

Sennheiser HD600 & HD650 Epic Fail.

Grado RS-1 Fail.

Audio-Technica W5000 & AD2000 Fail.

AKG K701 Fail.

Alessandro MS-Pro Epic Fail.

Etymotic ER4S Pass.

Edited by n_maher

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Denon Marklblabla Fail.

Grado RS-1 Fail.

AKG K701 Fail.

Etymotic ER4S Pass.

VTG/11JPN

Denon Marklblabla Fail.

Grado RS-1 Fail.

AKG K701 Fail.

Etymotic ER4S Pass.

If you really feel that way about all those headphones I'd say there's either something Fail about the music or the rest of your setup. Or you're so picky in your search for the holy grail that you'll never be happy.

If you really feel that way about all those headphones I'd say there's either something Fail about the music or the rest of your setup. Or you're so picky in your search for the holy grail that you'll never be happy.

Picky picky picky. But of course the ER4S is able to differentiate "Ju", "Zu" and "Su" without any problem in Japanese music whereas the ones which failed, well, failed to do so. To my ears of course.

I'm with Nate. I've heard real music played live, I've played in concert band, blah blah blah, and I would hardly describe the HD650 as an "epic fail". Not to be a fanboy, but it just simply doesn't do anything wrong to the point of being a failure, much less an 'epic' one. It recreates music, and it does it with a fairly decent tone to my ears. I know its not the end-all be-all, but 'epic fail' is simply a dramatic over reach.

I'm with Nate. I've heard real music played live, I've played in concert band, blah blah blah, and I would hardly describe the HD650 as an "epic fail". Not to be a fanboy, but it just simply doesn't do anything wrong to the point of being a failure, much less an 'epic' one. It recreates music, and it does it with a fairly decent tone to my ears. I know its not the end-all be-all, but 'epic fail' is simply a dramatic over reach.

Gah. What I meant by the fail fail fail epic fail was that these headphones did badly with Japanese music with the ones with "Epic Fail" barely being able to differentiate "Ju", "Su" & "Zu" in Japanese music unless you really concentrate.

Which headphones do it better?

What is your source?

The ER4S is partially doing it well right now with my shitty setup. The best I heard it was using the Pico as a DAC and the Lisa as the amp. Never really could forget that moment.

EDIT: I did my comparisons with the Pico/Lisa combo for all those other headphones.

The ER4S is partially doing it well right now with my shitty setup. The best I heard it was using the Pico as a DAC and the Lisa as the amp. Never really could forget that moment.

EDIT: I did my comparisons with the Pico/Lisa combo for all those other headphones.

I wouldn't say you've reached the pinnacle of amplifier goodness. Plus I agree with Nates comments, especially since you give the RS-1 a fail but the MS-Pro an epic fail. WTF? :palm:

I wouldn't say you've reached the pinnacle of amplifier goodness. Plus I agree with Nates comments, especially since you give the RS-1 a fail but the MS-Pro an epic fail. WTF? :palm:

The MS-Pro seriously made me suffer at trying to differentiating "Zu" and "Su". The RS-1's were coming out of a Maple Audio amp thingy though. Not the Lisa combo.

Er4 is a screechy highs high iem though, very unique sound and something not found in full sized cans,,,,maybe a silver set of 325 with flats will come close. Have u owned all those cans or just tried them out? Sounds like ur a newbs to the hobby, no offense meant cause I'm still in bed as I type this and I never mean wrong when I'm in bed...WTF

Er4 is a screechy highs high iem though, very unique sound and something not found in full sized cans,,,,maybe a silver set of 325 with flats will come close. Have u owned all those cans or just tried them out? Sounds like ur a newbs to the hobby, no offense meant cause I'm still in bed as I type this and I never mean wrong when I'm in bed...WTF

Grado no fun. Supra-aural hurts. :palm:

I spent at least 10 minutes with each of those headphones during meets. And everyone knows how noisy meets can be. :palm:

Newbs. Maybe. :palm: Sydney needs more gear.

Fine, but if you are going to make definitive sounding posts about cans at least compare them in the same system, and over a reasonable time period. This isn't Head-Fi.

:( But I personally don't see a point of enjoying music if you have to really concentrate to listen whether you're getting the sound you want or not. Keyword: enjoy

Not to overstate the obvious, but you should have an easier time hearing an IEM (as opposed to open headphones like RS1/HD600/etc) during meets... so it is not surprising that the ER4S sound clearer during the meet :) You really need more than 10 minutes to judge headphones...

I've yet to hear any IEM (owned er4p, e500, e5, over the years) that are as enjoyable as good open headphones. Not expecting much from the Westone 3, but I bought it anyway.

x2 If supraural is no option, then GS-1000. Looks like differentiating those sounds requires "enhanced highs" which these would provide in spades. Also Super.fi 5 have a huge peak in the mid treble which would help on that.