Look out! Seagate 1TB drives allegedly failing en masse.

Ive got 3 of the 1TBs in a Drobo, with a 640GB WD too. 1.5TB at the office. No problems yet, but the seagates are quite loud spinning up. The WD drives are much quieter and run much cooler.

I've been quite pleased with WD lately, (640GB is fantastic) but I think Im going to hold off on the upcoming 2TB drives, because they are the 'Green' variety, that throttles down RPM from 7200 to 5000 to save energy. Previous iterations of this model have had problems in Raid and Drobo, because they basically turn off too much. I'll wait for reviews, and confirmation that they work in Drobos. (The seagate 1.5tb was originally accepted in Drobo, and could be seen on the "drobulator" page, but they pulled it as an option after the raid problems surfaced).

The caviar blacks are what you want, imo. I figure WD will eventually offer a non-green model of the 2TB in caviar black format.

So shortly after my previous post Seagate released a new version of the firmware. It apparently works on the 1TB drives but bricks the 500gig drives. Seagate has since pulled the firmware: "Note: This file has been temporarily taken offline as of Jan 19, 2008 8PM CST for validation."

Validation my ass it's more like "oops we forgot to test this on more than one drive"

I will never buy another Seagate SATA drive again.

I will never buy another Seagate SATA drive again.

The quality torch seems to shift back and forth every few years, but there's definitely an awful lot of people who are no longer Seagate diehards.

Its been a little while in the making, but the 5 year warranty no longer instills blind confidence in the brand anymore. A warranty is nice, but it doesnt get your data back.

Ever since the 640GB AAKS drive from WD, I've considered myself a WD convert, more or less. Although I still wouldn't touch their external drives with a ten foot pole.

The quality torch seems to shift back and forth every few years, but there's definitely an awful lot of people who are no longer Seagate diehards.

One of the annoying things is that despite this firmware debacle it probably won't hurt their business all that much. They still sell a shitload of drives to OEM's who don't mind RMA'ing them continually. And in the enterprise market, until SSD's get cheaper the Seagate 15k rpm SAS drives are still king.

You're probably right. I used to be a WD fan until 2 of their drives failed on me and 2 more at worked died... I went Seagate, but now they're going through issues of their own. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 seagate 1tera ...

Both have the issue with the buffer ... my windows freeze 45 sec time to time the time the buffer have time to empty. SOmetimes my windows completely crash.

I will wait till seagate will release a fixed version and I will send them my fault hd for the new version.