Victor HP-DX700

Fungi

Victor unveils a new headphone that has DX1000 technology in a more affordable package, estimated to be around 65,000 yen.

They mention direct mounting of driver to housing, radiata pine, neodymium driver, acoustic lens, the same stuff from DX1000. Will it be a straight downgrade, or a different tuning? :o

Victor press release

Victor product site

AV Watch article

Hey, I really liked the Dx1000. Ok, maybe not a great value when compared to the much-more-accurate HD650 available for way less. Still a very enjoyable listen, more my style of "fun" than say the RS1 or Ed 9, and maybe helps mask some of the sonic issues I have with most redbook sources. I didn't notice anything particularly weird about their sound, at least not relative to other colored cans.

Two of us had the DX-1000 available at Saturday's meet. Most there enjoyed them. A couple heard "resonance". I do not. I have not heard another closed can that I like better, and I need a closed can part of the time. I find their toe tapping presentation fun and relaxing.

i describe what i mean by weirdness in the impressions thread from eons ago.

Those impressions were dead on -- reading them helped me figure out what was so odd about the DX1000s I had, though they could sound tremendous on some music, particularly well-recorded acoustic blues, for whatever reason. I like 'em, but an acquired taste for sure. A less expensive, less strongly-flavoured version might be a better buy.

k