A Treatise on the TTVJ/307A

Knuckledragger

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i pulled this from Todd's description of the 307A...

"All of the transformers are custom wound by hand in the USA by one of the finest audio transformer producers in the world, and were designed specifically for this amplifier."

if it is the case that anyone can order this transformer, i can see how one could find it suspect or even disingenuous. but i certainly can still respect your position as it also makes sense. this whole situation seems a bit like making a mountain out of a molehill to me, but then again i don't think it such a big deal.

David anyone can order any transformer providing you know the spec and the company is still in business. Whether another amp ever used the spec is not really relevant. Pete came up with an amp and had a transformer wound to meet his design spec no different than most headphone amp designers that use transformer coupled amps.

I would trade my shiny black box for this lovely rugged looking piece of engineering art anyday! :P

IMHO there isn't anything wrong with the look of the TTVJ/Millett amps. They have a certain made-by-an-engineer aesthetic. And the internal wiring of the 307A is very carefully done, almost paralleling the honesty of the outside. You don't get an enormous shiny polished chassis, but you also don't get wallwarts and a rats nest inside.

wait, conflicting info here!! You two must resolve this! I knew Al talked with Pete at length at the Dallas meet about iron, so 909 must reveal his source as well!!

Dayum, my bad - all that Tango and James iron was on the stinking 308b amp - and the 307a is indeed Electraprint, at least everything besides the choke, because, and I quote, 'Jack does not believe in power chokes'.

dfw2.jpg

Explain this comment please. Are you complaining about the price of the 307A or something else?

Complaining about the price of the 307a, as you know I don't know a ton about these designs but for $6000 you can get some high end speaker tube gear that puts out likely just as clean and WAY more power.

You cannot get anything cleaner, and the amount of power for headphones, even the k1000, is excessive. This is one of the, if not the absolute, best dynamic amps that money can buy.

Read some more, than post again. Better yet, don't post again until you have heard one.

I've heard that said about so many amps I'm going to take it with a grain of salt and for $6000 it BETTER be one of if not the best.

Complaining about the price of the 307a, as you know I don't know a ton about these designs but for $6000 you can get some high end speaker tube gear that puts out likely just as clean and WAY more power.

I've heard that said about so many amps I'm going to take it with a grain of salt and for $6000 it BETTER be one of if not the best.

Commenting on a design from the impression that you get from it without even hearing the amp in question is pretty lame. There's a better headphone forum for that kind of discussion, I think you're already a member.

You assumed that cheaper speaker amps would work just as good with headphones than this amp. What's that if not talking through your hat?

You are actually assuming I was even talking about using a speaker amp to power headphones... Which I'm not!

I'm just pointing out the obvious that the TTVJ/307A puts out less power than a high end SPEAKER amplifier and costs just about the same.\

Which is probably my bad since this is really a headphone amplification forum, I'm just used to always comparing headphones to my speaker setup

You are actually assuming I was even talking about using a speaker amp to power headphones... Which I'm not!

I'm just pointing out the obvious that the TTVJ/307A puts out less power than a high end SPEAKER amplifier and costs just about the same.

What was the point of your comment then?

I'm just pointing out the obvious that the TTVJ/307A puts out less power than a high end SPEAKER amplifier and costs just about the same.\

Which is probably my bad since this is really a headphone amplification forum, I'm just used to always comparing headphones to my speaker setup

A Lotus Elise has less power than a Chevy Suburban and costs more too, clearly, it's the inferior vehicle and will get smoked on the track by the Chevy.

Are you always this dense or is it a special day today?

A Lotus Elise has less power than a Chevy Suburban and costs more too, clearly, it's the inferior vehicle and will get smoked on the track by the Chevy.

Are you always this dense or is it a special day today?

A lotus elise has less weight which as any car enthusiast knows makes as large a difference as a increase in power/tires/brakes on the track.

Want to explain how your analogy makes any sense when it comes to headphone amps vs speaker amps?