cPlay

Tachikoma

*Gets straight to the point*

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=226826

Its not a replacement for foobar (only plays one file at time, doesn't support anything besides flac and wav), but I think it actually sounds better. It gobbles up 1gb of my RAM with AWE on though :o and the file I'm playing is only 300mb~ The main improvement I think I'm hearing is in the soundstage, there seems to be a lot more depth now, and the sounds are nicely spaced out when it sometimes gets a bit cluttered with foobar.

This is where I heard about it:

http://www.odysseyaudiohk.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1215105279

Is the sound quality improvement supposed to be from the upsampling?

I am doing some upsampling, but its only from 44.1khz to 48khz to avoid using the audigy 2 NX upsampler. I use the SoX resampler in foobar to do the same thing.

I'm not sure I'm hearing what I'm hearing, so it'd be nice if a few more people are willing to give it a shot :) unlike xxhighend, this is free of charge.

I just realised that I'm not using AWE - that feature only works after you enable certain permissions in Windows. CPlay loads stuff on RAM by default, and AWE supposedly "forces" windows to give it all the ram it wants, I think.

Is there any technical reason why it supposedly sounds better than foobar?

From that site:

I think foobar is going the wrong direction by adding too many features which impacted audio quality.

There's a reason why foobar has a modular structure. I'm no programmer, but I doubt that guy is either.

But heck its free to try.

Mmmm imploded brain

Is there any technical reason why it supposedly sounds better than foobar?

From that site:

There's a reason why foobar has a modular structure. I'm no programmer, but I doubt that guy is either.

But heck its free to try.

Nfi, besides the fact that it eats about 3x as much RAM as foobar even when I have foobar doing the same thing (loading the entire file on RAM).

(only plays one file at time, doesn't support anything besides flac and wav), but I think it actually sounds better.

I tried *real* hard to get used to cPlay since I agree it sounds better than Foobar 0.9.x. But having no playlist capability, no library management to speak of, no real GUI (my Flac files just show as "Track 1" without any imbedded info), and using the ludicrous exercise of being able to load and play only ONE file at a time, it's just not compatible with life, especially if you have a huge music collection.

Yep, I came to that conclusion after two days of trying to get it to work for me. cMP _kinda_ gives it the ability to have a playlist, but the majority of my files don't have .cue files to go with it (and cMP can't add anything that isn't a .cue).

I can program a program that fills 50x as much memory if you like....

Can you also make it crash my computer whenever I try to browse for files? (cMP, ugh)

Yep, I came to that conclusion after two days of trying to get it to work for me. cMP _kinda_ gives it the ability to have a playlist, but the majority of my files don't have .cue files to go with it (and cMP can't add anything that isn't a .cue).

Can you also make it crash my computer whenever I try to browse for files? (cMP, ugh)

I can make it crash when you aren't even playing music