wood finishing stuff

Smeggy

I've never had a turning block sealed in wax that was dried yet, I wish. I am wary of waiting for anything dry in sawdust for a month and the baking/microwave tricks are touchy too it seems. Good luck Smeg! My turning skills are weak, but low on my list of things to improve right now.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, teak is seriously endangered and prices have risen like crazy, so it's no longer common. It's 3x to 5x the cost of padauk... basically on par with the most expensive woods like bocote.

????????????

I can buy Bocote for about the same as many domestic woods, I find it quite reasonable.

Now Ziricote is another story.

The expensive woods are those such as Gabon Ebony, Pink Ivory, Buckeye Burl...

I never was a Teak fan anyway. A very blah looking wood IMO.

Teak is great when you need a good strong and hard wearing wood but it's certainly not the best looking stuff around.

As to my cocobolo blank, I'm not deluding myself, just hopeful it won't be a complete waste. It was about 20 bux so not too bad.

Oh I don't know, I think it has its place ....

689054049_644aaf99a9.jpg?v=0

Oh definitely, it's great for boats and outdoor furniture, as it's quite resistant to rott. I just meant that I don't find it especially appealing for woodworking in general, considering all of the other wood choices. That is however just one man's opinion. :)