wood finishing stuff

Smeggy

Yeah, I really like those Senn. cups. Great idea, and your friend is pretty good with a scroll saw.

Smeggy, patience is definitely the key to great woodworking. Amp building too for that matter. I'm not sure how to teach that though. For me it was a long process.

Of coarse you can be too patient as well, and never complete anything. I walk that tightrope too often. :)

Edited by swt61

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I really like those Senn. cups. Great idea, and your friend is pretty good with a scroll saw.

I really like that design as well, and the finish is splendid. Most of all, I like how it seems very open while still providing lots of wood to look at.

The design seemed very familiar when I saw it, and then it hit me: this looks like a big Senn PX-100! Whether that was intentional or coincidental, who knows, but the fact that the same design has been carried over pleases me.

Smeggy, patience is definitely the key to great woodworking. Amp building too for that matter. I'm not sure how to teach that though. For me it was a long process.

Of coarse you can be too patient as well, and never complete anything. I walk that tightrope too often. :)

Definitely hear you on the patience part, on my first project (the sub) I ran into multiple paint compatibility issues and ended up basically putting over 20 coats on before I could move on to final buffing/finishing.

Electronics-wise I'm also still learning, but from my limited experience the same need for patience applies there too. I've learned the hard way if you hurry things more stuff eventually breaks :eek:

Those cups are very nice, quite a good finish too!

Thanks for all the nice comments on the Senn wooden cups. My friend did put a lot of hours in research and finally producing them, one pair at a time. So far he has made 5 pairs and he told me he may want to stop producing them as it takes a lot of time and patience just to get a pair done. They are made from old teak from Vietnam.

Not sure if he got the idea from the PX-100...will ask him.

The cups are screwed in, by the way, providing a stronger and stable housing for the HD650 compared to the stock grills.

Sonically they give a darker background, with very, very low floor noise. Bass goes deeper and tighter and the mids and highs, smooth and sweet.

I wouldn't be comfortable without a mesh of some sort protecting those open spaces.

Well you have kids. That would never be an issue with me, as I'm quite anal about my headphones. Although I don't think a mesh would take away from the look either.

The sound might change, to be sure, but a blacker background and lower noise floor? That seems more than just a little unlikely since you have to have a pretty spectacularly shitty amp to have a noise floor with the 650s to begin with.

Yeah, That pair that I made out of Maple Burl were more closed than those, and I noticed very little difference in sound from the stock grills. Certainly the background, noise floor and soundstage were all but identical.

It's a nice piece of woodwork, but I think it looks daft personally.

Well I do recognise it as some damn good woodwork, but it does have a bit of a wagon wheel look. I'd have to wear them while playin' poker at Miss Kitty's place. :P

Edited by swt61

That is some pretty inspirational stuff - now to find the right wood to make some, after my dozen previous aborted attempts at Senn wood covers. The teak is nice, but I'm feeling some Mesquite, or maybe Tulip wood. Looks like I'm fixin to add a scroll saw to the shop.

• 4 weeks later...

so I tried my hand at a little wood whittling and am now stuck with trying to keep a decent finish on them.

Picture243.jpg

This was the idea - I used Paduok and ARM-R-SEAL oil/poly to finish them off. I have applied several layers with a gentle rub down in between but it takes an age to feel dry to touch and even them they seem to be tacky for a few days. They lose their sheen very quickly when I start using them, they still work but I was hoping to keep that incredible wood grain that they have when I initially coat them.

Any ideas other than using a different coating ? Is there something about arm-n-seal that I should know??

thanks..dB

BTW, where do you (you being any of you woodworking dudes) recommend buying wood finishing products? I don't even seem to find varnish at places such as Home Depot, etc. (unless I am looking at the wrong thing). Polyurethane, sure; varnish, no.

BTW, where do you (you being any of you woodworking dudes) recommend buying wood finishing products? I don't even seem to find varnish at places such as Home Depot, etc. (unless I am looking at the wrong thing). Polyurethane, sure; varnish, no.

Any store with exotic lumber should have a complete supply (Woodcraft, etc), and I'd think CHI-land would have some independent wood stores. I have never ordered finishing online, but I only use 100% Tung (or as close as possible) anyway.