My very own Beta 22 thread

Smeggy

Guest sachu

So on the transformer, you have 6 big wires and 3 thinner wires.

Take the multimeter and check if there is a short (or less than 2-3 ohms) between each of the white wires and the green wire.

Do a similar test with each of the two thick black wires and the blue wire and report back.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sachu
All reading 05.3 @ the 200 Ohm setting

ALright, next is to check if there is a short between each of the white wires and the black wires.

So check between

White1-Black1

White1-Black2

White2-Black1

White2-Black2

Blue-Green

and report back please.

Guest sachu

hmmm...ok..so you are seeing

white1 - brown = 5.3ohm

white2 - brown = 5.3ohm

black1 - blue = 5.3ohm

black2 - blue = 5.3ohm

right?

If that is the case, then use one set..either black pair+blue or white pair + brown.

assume you use the black pair + blue.

Solder the black wires together and connect that to the live terminal on the AC mains

Connect the blue wire to the neutral terminal on the AC mains.

plug it in and check for output on the thinner wires and also on the other white pair+brown

or do what Nate is suggesting.

Guest sachu
yep, will do. So what is the second set used for (white/brown)?

If you hook it up and take readings we will know..I somewhat remember seeing AC main volts on the second set of wires that when I applied AC on the first set of wires.

Just to be sure am calling Avel in the next 5 mins. Might as well find out as it would be useful for me to know as well.

If you hook it up and take readings we will know..I somewhat remember seeing AC main volts on the second set of wires that when I applied AC on the first set of wires.

Just to be sure am calling Avel in the next 5 mins. Might as well find out as it would be useful for me to know as well.

The multimeter should give you a pretty good idea of what is what. The two primaries are going to have the highest restistance. Since it is a step down transformer the secondaries are going to have less resistance.

As for seeing A/C on second set of primaries it makes sense because it's just become a 1:1 transformer.

Guest sachu
The multimeter should give you a pretty good idea of what is what. The two primaries are going to have the highest restistance. Since it is a step down transformer the secondaries are going to have less resistance.

As for seeing A/C on second set of primaries it makes sense because it's just become a 1:1 transformer.

That's what am thinking as well..

I called Avel but no reply. Left a message. but am sure if smeggy hooks up the tranny and turns it on, we will know soon what the primaries are.

Woohoo!

Box

dsc7889.jpg

another box

dsc7890.jpg

that's not a transformer, this is a transformer :P

dsc7892.jpg

Packets of bits

dsc7893.jpg

finally, guts...

dsc7894.jpg

So it looks like the LEDs, headphone clips, outputs and various plugs and cables need to go in along with wiring up the transfo.

holy heatsinks!

Thats the one thing that strikes me first every time i see the inside of a beta, they sheer number of heatsinks. I love the sound of the Beta22, i just cannot justify the price difference compared to quality difference up from the M^3.

You will love it though, especially with all that work already completed. Make sure to check for shorts in all the basic places before you light it up. Don't want to light your face on fire.

*I always regret nabbing the Amveco transformer that my Sigma 1 is using instead of paying the seperate shipping cost for something less..... tiny. As soon as i get my next *meager* paycheck i plan on remedying that mistake. I guess thats the nice thing about transformers, they are not that hard to replace as long as the case you are using has the space for it.

Blah, powered it up and only the sigma and one board light up. The two channel boards get very hot, lit one first, the ground takes a lot longer to warm up. I measured 24V across all the sigma outputs so thats fine. Dunno what next

Is the Sigma set for +/-24Vdc? I thought most build b22s for +/-30V? At any rate make sure you have both + AND - 24V relative to GND. Then check the power inputs for each board making sure you have +24V where you are supposed to as well as the -24V. Then start going thru the checkout steps from amb's site.

Guest sachu

Don't plug in the pwoer to the amp boards without verifying that you are getting +/-24V DC (or +/-30V DC) on the leads for each of the amp boards.

Edit: nevermind...go through the amb checklist next like Nate suggested.

Post pictures of the wiring gary and explain what goes where on each board. Did you follow the beta22 setup guide on amb's site? (I hope so)

Yeah, everything measures fine, just no led lighting up on two boards, everything else seems fine.

I messed up first time because I had trimpot 2 and 3 mixed up, I thought they'd be in order :D

stumbled on this thread while "procrastination browsing" - good luck there , had I known earlier I wold have made sure my data was backed up for when the lights on the west coast went down ;) Seems you bypassed that important step :D.

Hope the rest goes together smoothly - not sure why the leds are night lighting up if everything is measuring as expected though..dB