The noob goes vinyl...

Well, I finally got my last piece of gear yesterday: the Phonomena II. I had it sent to my parents' house since I'm hardly ever home to receive stuff. I will pick it up today (ordered it along with new inner sleeves for LP's - no point washing if I put them back in the old ones).

I will also compare it with the highly-regarded as bang-for-buck CA 640P (which I got a good deal on in Audiogon). The 640P wasn't a planned purchase, but I read it is a good piece of gear. We'll see how the Phonomena II (at $600 new) does against it. Not to mention there are two cartridges in the house now (used MC cartridge ZYX Bloom and new MM cartridge AT150mlx).

I won't begin any testing until next weekend, however. This week the FEDS are coming to audit the bank. So long hours at work me... :mad:

Testing:

Turntable: TD 125

Tonearm: SME 3009 series ii Improved

Phono: CA 640P versus Phonomena II

Cartridges: ZYX Bloom versus AT150mlx

It will be fun seeing what combos work best. It will be a bit of a hassle switching cartridges... Come to think of it, I didn't even check if the Bloom is compatible with that old arm... :palm:

I have a 640P modded by Andy Bartha. The mods done are as follows:

Four op amps replaced with National LM 4562 op amps

Coupling caps (.01 UF) replaced with larger bypass caps (.22 UP Polyprop)

All power supply caps replaced with Nichicon caps and by passed with .01 UF Wilma MKP caps.

Power supply diodes replaced with low noise Schottky type 100v diodes and by passed with .01 UF Wilma MKP caps.

High frequency bypass caps on the op amps, which were ceramic disk type are replaced with silver mica caps.

I haven't compared to a stock 640P but can say that it is close if not on par with the ASR Mini Basis I used to have.

Congrats!

I just paid put out a payment for a Vinyl rig that I don't plan on selling for a very long time. I can definitely share your excitement!

I have the old Phonomena I. Thinking of getting the EAR 834. Looking forward to your findings on the phono stages.

I was also considering the old Phonomena I. However, according to reviews I've read, the II is supposed to be an improvement over the original, circuit-wise (not to mention that I got it because it is cheaper, though I saw a Phonomena-1 selling for around $600 on Audiogon some days ago). However, the original did run off battery power, whereas the II runs of AC. Theoretically, the original should be "blacker."

Theoretically...

<snip>

Power supply diodes replaced with low noise Schottky type 100v diodes and by passed with .01 UF Wilma MKP caps.

<more snip>

Why in the hell would you snubber Schottkys? They don't have the turn off noise of normal/HexFRED-type diodes, so no caps needed...

Sorry, I know you didn't do the mods, and I'm sure it sounds fine. I don't think having the caps hurts anything.

To SO: does the Thorens table with the SME support modern cartridges like the Zyx well? I know Thorens such as my TD320 require highly compliant cartridges, but that is with a Thorens arm. I still have an unhealthy fixation on Thorens stuff and always wanted a TD125 :palm:

Sorry, I know you didn't do the mods, and I'm sure it sounds fine. I don't think having the caps hurts anything.

To SO: does the Thorens table with the SME support modern cartridges like the Zyx well? I know Thorens such as my TD320 require highly compliant cartridges, but that is with a Thorens arm. I still have an unhealthy fixation on Thorens stuff and always wanted a TD125 :palm:

Let me know when you get a hankering for a TD160.

medium.jpg

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, the Bloom I bought just doesnt work well with the SME, so no comparisons.

I havent tested the phonos yet. I know I will sell the 640P though, not because it sounds worse, but because it will be an easier sell than the Phonomena II.

Besides, the Phonomena has so many variables that I intend on keeping it anyway. I will still do a comparison soon though.