I'm thinking of buying my first car

Thaddy

Currently, I'm driving a '91 Honda Accord with about 120,000 miles. It's in wonderful condition...but it has no AC. Now, living in Pittsburgh this wouldn't be a problem, but now I'm in Houston. Before moving down here I thought I'd be able to tough it out until the end of the year, but my sweaty balls are begging for a new car now.

Originally I wanted to buy a lightly used car, but now I'm starting to get interested in leasing a brand new one. Given I live 3 miles from my office, restaurants, stores, banks, etc I won't have a problem staying under 12,000 miles a year. Plus, I get the added benefit of having a new car and the assistence of some maintainence. However, I'm not too crazy about leasing because I'll be forced to buy comprehensive insurance, which sucks when you're 22 and you're shopping for "single" cars 8) Speaking of cars, I'm currently looking at:

Acura RSX Type-S

Honda Civic Si

Honda S2000

Subaru WRX

Nissan 350-Z (a longshot)

Mazda RX-8 (another longshot)

I got to test drive the Type-S and S2000, and was pretty floored. Of course, the Type-S held the edge as far as creature comforts and practicality are concerned, but geez...the S2000 was a very fun car to drive, and that's all I'll say ;) The Si is foreign to me, and I haven't driven or rode in a WRX for 4 years.

So, given my current lineup, any tips for a car-buying n00b like myself? I'd like to hear your experiences.

My advice, find an older Accord (or something like it) w/ AC and drive it into the ground. Avoid buying a new car as long and you can and bank as much $$$ as you can. Leasing will lull you into the idea that you can afford more car than you really can and will create expectations that your wallet can't match down the road. I know all too well the lure of buying a new car when you get your first job. Take the extra money you're saving and put it away and forget about it. If I could give anyone your age advice it would be to make it your goal to be the youngest of your friends to buy a house/apt/condo whatever. Paying rent is a serious drag even if it's affordable and having your own place that really is your own is great for reasons other than the tax benefits.

My 2?,

Nate

Leasing is a rip-off. Before you lease, make sure you do a serious number comparison with (a) your downpayment, and (B) your monthly payment, and you'll find that it's really not that different to buy.

I agree with the advice of buying used. A car loses most of its value in the first couple of years. Don't buy from someplace like CarMax -- the price ends up being not that different. You need to 'network' -- call a friend who knows someone who knows someone, etc. Eventually you'll run into someone who knows someone who's selling their car...to you. Free papers and Craigslist are also ways to go.

That said, your primary concern seems to be "fun to drive". Test drive the Mazda3 and a Subaru Impreza WRX...STi? I think...the latter won Consumer Reports "best 'fun to drive' car", the latter won the Dusty Chalk seal of 'fun to drive' approval. If I hadn't been unemployed when I needed a new car, I would have bought one. Between the last car and the new one, I drove a Mazda3 for a month, and by the end of the month, I was smitten.

Mitsubishis are fun to drive too. My sister's little Lancer has nice 'pep'.

Speaking of cars, I'm currently looking at:

Acura RSX Type-S

Honda Civic Si

Honda S2000

Subaru WRX

Nissan 350-Z (a longshot)

Mazda RX-8 (another longshot)

The insurance companies won't just assrape you, they will assrape you with a 2x4 and no lube if you get any of the above cars. With the S2000 and Type-S, I would not be surprised if your insurance payments end up being larger than your car payments.

Personally I'd get a used sedan, something like a Honda Accord or Mazda 3. It's not as fancy or fun, but you will come out way ahead in cash, we're talking a good $10-20k over the lifespan of the car.

Man, if I was you, Id get a stock (new) Mazda 3 or Civic. As far as the insurance company knows you bought a good economy car. With all the trick stuff out there you can take it out as far as you want or can afford to or just do a little at a time. You can change the look and performance and musical sound to suit, for one badass car.

I am in a similar spot, making my own good money for the first time in my life, just came from a shitty old car with no A/C. I ended up buying a used car with a ton of miles left in it. I was able to pay for it up-front with cash. Now I have no car payments, and can buy lower cost insurance b/c I don't have a loan.

If you want to save money, buy used, and buy Honda or Toyota. I don't like how Toyotas drive, so I bought a Honda (Acura). The other brands just don't have the long-term reliability to be worthwhile buys as used cars. Check consumer reports, it's all right there.

Don't buy used cars from dealers, don't lease any car, and try to buy with only money you already have, if at all possible. Only use the dealers to test drive cars you're interested in (i.e. don't bug private party sellers unless you're at least somewhat serious about buying the car). Autotrader and craigslist are great places to look for used cars from private parties, and since you're in a huge city there should be plenty avaliable. Be sure to get your own carfax report for any car you seriously consider buying, Texas has many cars that have been moved in from another state after being flooded and repaired, esp. from Katrina.

Don't buy a car with a salvage title, under any circumstances. The seller may just say that it was stolen and recovered, but there is no way for you to verify that.

If you keep at it, looking at the ads very frequently, you can get a great deal. Don't be afraid to ask any questions that concern you.

I'mthinking ford ranger or toyota sr5 pickup truck, 2-3 years old. Good ac, small cab to cool, good reliability.

For the love of god dude, DON'T buy a Ranger. I live out in hicktown, and I see more of those broken down than anything. Those and older Exploder...I mean Explorers. Just a tiny little truck that ain't good for hauling that much, and breaks down like it's an intended feature.

Hmmm, maybe they're talking about more recent ones? Beats me. My father owns a late 90's F250 that's quite the POS as well. It's had numerous recalls, the air suspension has gone out a few times, and it has constant electrical problems (basically you never know what's going to work or not, the radio, wipers, and headlights all seem effected, and the dealership can't figure it out). Well at any rate, I don't think Ford vs. Toyota should be a very hard decision.