Mods for PS Audio DLIII

I am very happy with my PS Audio DLIII, but I was thinking about someday doing the stage 3 or 4 Cullen mods to my PS Audio DLIII - PS Audio DAC, GCHA, GCPH modifications - Cullen Circuits

It wont void the warranty and reviews have been very positive. But someone else recommended another company that did his PSA DLIII mods: Reference Audio Mods, cd player mods,audio mods, audio modifications

Do any of you guys have any experience with either company and have any opinions you could share? I'm posting here because at the other forum I expect to get too many conflicting thoughts and opinions from people who have never even heard the mods. Like I said, I am very happy with it stock, but wonder what I could be missing. If I had to get rid of all the DACs in the house but one, the PSA is the one I'd keep.

Thanks!

I have had a very very bad experience with RAM and his vapor mods. All I can say is if you don't mind taking a chance on paying for mods that aren't done, for upgraded parts that are not provided, crappy workmanship that would make a soldering monkey blush, a modder selling services with little idea of what he is doing and a business owner who may not refund your money for services not delivered, then OK. If the only reason you have the idea of using RAM is because of the shillin' iPodjerk is doing for Kyle on HF you should reconsider.

Now if you want my real feelings on this subject, well we will have to talk offline.

HA, I do not know what else/other DACs you have tasted and liked less than the PS, but the (around) $500-worth PS plus (around) $700 on mods adds to a bit over $1k.

That said, I am not a big believer in mods others than the DIY: for one individual, a change of caps or whatever has a really small cost, and is fun to do. If you have to pay someone to do it, plus the extra for its 'knowledge' (if there is any!), the interest fades out IMO. See, I have my Benchmark open now so I can try different coupling caps, and compare them to the original ones (they parallel electro+film+ceramic smd's), is funny and if something shows as a real ear-opener will stay; but mostly is fun.

Anyway I was also leaning the Cullen way, from your two options, even before reading Augsburger interesting comments (!!).

Actually, it was Achristilaw who had his PSA mods done by RAM and recommended them in a PM to me, after I mentioned the Cullen mods. Achristilaw seems like a nice guy when I met him at CanJam.

I've read a few of positive Cullen reviews outside of head-fi on - one at 6moons and another at PS Audio Digital Link 3 D/A Converter with Cullen Circuits Stage 4 Modification on 10 Audio and PS Audio DLIII DAC with Cullen Circuits Stage III Modifications plus The Cullen Circuits mod of the PS Audio DLIII, Part 2

I like the PS Audio slightly more than my Apogee mini-DAC or a borrowed Stello DA100 Signature that I compared it with, and I put it above my Headroom Mini DAC as well. In 96K upsampling mode the PSA sounded very similar to the Stello and less rounded in the midrange than the APogee, while for darker headphones the 192K mode became a little brighter and more spacious (although with some music and some headphones sounding a little edgier too). I'd like to see if the mods take the edge off in 192K mode, for enjoying the bigger soundstage more, or if they make the 96K upsampling mode stand out more.

On topic: I had contacted RAM about some mods to my CA 840C. I had a bad feeling due to them not really answering my questions and instead using some weird techno-speak that as far as I can tell is a derivative of pig-latin.

Off topic: Does the PS Audio have a 176.4 upsampling option? If so, give that a try when the 192 kHz seems a bit too digital or harsh. I pretty much use that over 192 KHz most of the time.

Off topic: Does the PS Audio have a 176.4 upsampling option? If so, give that a try when the 192 kHz seems a bit too digital or harsh. I pretty much use that over 192 KHz most of the time.

+1 for synchronous (integer multiplier of the original 44'1 kHz sr) vs asynchronous upsampling.

But this may well be something 'mental' (I feel is the 'right' way so must sound better), as I heard nice sounds either way... and, off course, sometimes nicer sounds with no upsampling at all :rolleyes:

As for the reviews (HA), if usually one needs to take all of them with a grain of salt, when these are of 'modded' gear you need the full bottle: the reviewer is fartest away from the real price/value of the gear than usual.

Maybe you need a DAC3 loan and then decide?

I don't have much written about it - I mostly post on "the other site" just because it is safe to say stupid things every once and a while ;-)

My impressions of the Cullen mods are basically simple.

Impressions made with RSP-1/RPA-1 Emotiva combo to Onix Reference 3 speakers

It made the soundstage extend out of the room l/r and made a much more stable center image. There is more depth in the stage. The separation between instruments has improved - everything holds its own place in space.

Bass has more impact now.

The overall sound is much more "real" now. The slight bit of digital edginess is now taken away.

This one of the first components that I noticed "burn-in". Bass was dry when I first received it after mods. I wasn't really blown away by it at first. There were improvements noticed right away, but not fully developed.

I think the gain cell technology is very cool and wouldn't mind my gcha being a pre-amp also!

Let me know if you have any specific questions. A lot of the components in my sig have changed, you are in my friends list on HF - so check my equipment list over there.

Get in touch with Mr. Cullen. He is very honest and a nice guy to deal with. I pulled the trigger on it when he offered a discount to do both my DLIII and GCHA at the same time. I wanted matching LED's in the two, so I just went with it. I was very happy with my choice.

At that time - I was defiantly not the type to be spending 4 figures on things like upgrades... let alone even headphones or amplifiers... anything. So it was a tough deal to begin with.

The only DAC that I have any urge to try is the Buffalo 32.

The DLIII is extracting every last bit of detail that I think there possibly is while still sounding as realistic as cd/wav etc. playback can sound.

Yeah I dunno I've heard stock and cullen stage 3 honestly the mods didn't make that big of an impression on me, but either way both are solidish current production dacs.

Also like on the used market the mods don't seem to bump the price that much (Since last time I checked) and Cullen seems to have a legitimate relationship with ps audio and not be hackjob artists so if you can get them without paying too much of a premium.. why not?

Get in touch with Mr. Cullen. He is very honest and a nice guy to deal with. I pulled the trigger on it when he offered a discount to do both my DLIII and GCHA at the same time. I wanted matching LED's in the two, so I just went with it. I was very happy with my choice.

nice line of work, switching out LEDs? :) I can recommend Fitz as an expert LED matcher, if you're ever in the market.