The I'd Rather Be Happy than Fit thread

grawk

Since when was beef bad for your heart? Anything in moderation is perfectly fine - particularly if you stick to the leaner cuts.

Doctor speaks, I listen. Probably the fact that my cholesterol was exceedingly high... damn 3 years ago? Has it really been that long since I had a checkup. I guess its time to turn my head and cough.

I love beef. Absolutely love it. But, knowing its bad for your heart, and I have a family history of heart disease on both sides, should I eat it regularly? At what point does "living" become more important than "existing"? What if the love of my life was cocaine? Would I be just existing if I avoided that temptation? I guess that's a personal line that needs to be drawn, and its location will vary person to person.

Either way, cheers everyone! May you all be happy and healthy for many years to come! :dan:

:jbl:

This is very much like the point of diminishing returns on audio equipment. Everybody's is different and everybody has to decide this for themselves. I was just reporting about my choices and in no way was implying that anybody else follow them.

Good luck with your choices.

We're all going to die of something ...

Some risk factors we can avoid, some mitigate, and some are external, and thus beyond our control. It's down to choice.

Some food for though ( :) ) can be found at

The Hacker's Diet

The Hacker's Diet

How to lose weight and hair through stress and poor nutrition

By John Walker

The Hacker's Diet, notwithstanding its silly subtitle, is a serious book about how to lose weight and permanently maintain whatever weight you desire. It treats dieting and weight control from an engineering and management standpoint, and provides the tools and an understanding of why they work and how to use them that permit the reader to gain control of their own weight. The book is intended primarily for busy, successful engineers, programmers, and managers who have struggled unsuccessfully in the past to lose weight and avoid re-gaining it. Computer-based tools and experiments in Microsoft Excel or the Palm Computing Platform are available, as well as an online Web application, but a computer is not necessary to use the techniques described in the book; paper and pencil alternatives are provided.

I found out at the beginning of this year that I had diabetes. Since January, I have lost 40 lbs thru modifying my eating habits and limiting my carb intake to 60 grams per meal. I'm almost down to my highschool weight and I feel fucking fantastic physically. And with the extra energy and the increase in self esteem I have gained from this, mentally, I feel great too.

I still have the verboten foods...I just have them less often and of course less of them.

I get up at 5 am for my personal trainer 2x a week and work out 4 or 5 of the other days. Mostly cycling related (either on an acutal bike or on a trainer). I'm still a fat bastard but that will change over time. I wish I had my dad's metabolism not my mom's. I look at a cheeseburger and I gain 2 lbs.

Hoping to ride a century in the fall.

Doctor speaks, I listen. Probably the fact that my cholesterol was exceedingly high... damn 3 years ago? Has it really been that long since I had a checkup. I guess its time to turn my head and cough.

I'm a doctor (well, PhD ;)) and lean beef is perfectly fine even if the cholesterol is high. It also helps to offset it with an oily fish high in omega 3 the following night.