Humidor recommendations?

postjack

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Update: plasticky smell is gone. However, I'm having trouble keeping the RH from swinging. It likes to go from 65-68. At first I just had a half pound of Heartfelt beads in there, but I put in another full pound earlier this week. Didn't seem to help the swings that much. I then read about plugging the drain hole, which I did on both the inside and the outside earlier today using duct tape. We'll see how it looks after 24 hours, but as of now I've seen it swing from 65 to 67.

The cigars look fine, but I did end up with a split wrapper on my Oliva Serie V Lancero I smoked today, one where I cut it (the non-foot end, don't know the terminology) and one about a centimeter long further up the stogie. I'm assuming this could be from the RH swings, but I'm not sure. The split wrapper in this case did not affect smokability. I examined all the other cigars, especially the ones that had been in there the longest, and they look fine.

I may end up either hooking up an Oust fan or adding another pound of RH beads. Kind of makes me wish I would've opted for the 70% beads instead of fighting it down to 65%, but I'm too deep in to change now.

I would not worry about swings that are only a couple % RH especially if they are in the optimal range. One thing that would help out is getting some Spanish cedar shelves. The wood helps to keep the RH stabilized.

As for the split cigar, you usually see the foot split when the RH gets to high, so try and keep it at 70% or below.

Swinging from 65-69 isn't that bad at all. An important way of fighting the swings with a fridge-a-dor is using a brewery thermostat, assuming you've plugged the fridge in. If you haven't, then get more wood and shit in there. Do not buy 70% beads though! Humidity can go as high as 72+ like that, and it's just way too much. I try to maintain b/w 63-67, preferably more on the 63 side.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 1.5 pounds of 65 RH beads, and the RH keeps between 65-70. before its over with I'll buy another pound because I want to keep it closer to 65.

Like a sucker I bought the bags Heartfelt sells to keep my beads in. Having said that they are easy to handle and do the trick. Pantyhose or a bowl should be fine.

Brought home the Vinotemp today. It's set up in the garage on high. The temp outside today was in the low 90's. The temp stayed around 67 and it at 65 now. What is the temperature that I should be look for? I may bring it in my music room where the ambient temp is about 75.

Time to order some beads.

Edit: Moved completed.

Edited by tyrion

Beads have been in for about 48 hours. I tried to calibrate and adjust the digital hygrometer but not sure I got it set right. The digital H gets to as high as 66% and down to 63%. I put my analog in there to see what it would read and it's at 70%. Do I just need to give it time or should I try calibrating and adjusting the digital H again?

Edit: I have 1 1/2 lbs of Heartland beads.

• 2 weeks later...