Humidor recommendations?

postjack

Jack, you should be able to get a few free empty boxes from your local cigar store. Play up the fact that you're building up a collection and need them for your humidor.

This is exactly what I did, each time I hit up my local shop I asked for a few boxes until I had a bunch. They were glad to give me them. I probably could have taken a ton my first go around as they had a shopping cart full of empties, but I didn't want to be greedy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okey dokey, an electrical question for you folks out there.

Got the Edgestar in today, everything looks groovy. Problem is its a three prong plug, and the place I want to set it up (extra bedroom) has only two prong outlets. The manual of course says to plug it into a grounded outlet. What I want to do is use a cheater 3 pin to 2 pin plug. I use cheater plugs all over my house on all kinds of stuff with no ill effect, but not on my refrigerator. I don't know anything about electricity, so I just want to make sure this is safe.

the outlets do have the two different size receptacles, so polarity should be good. thanks Dan. :)

Continuing to calibrate the hygrometer. when I first got it in I really fiddled with the calibration knob so it messed me up (I didn't realize the read out wouldn't change until I hit the set button). it was pretty good straight out of the box though, just 1% low. it's back in the Humidipak bag now and hopefully should be correct by tomorrow morning.

I also got my beads in but I think I might need more. Only ordered a half pound. We'll see.

The Edgestar does have a strong plastic smell. I think I'll try scrubbing I with distilled water and a mild detergent and then let it air out for a day.

And I managed to procure one empty wood box from a liquor store. :)

Wiped it down with distilled water, then distilled water and a small amount of dawn, then did a rinse wipe down with more distilled water. Seems to have alleviated the smell already. Its sitting in place in the other room as we speak. Haven't turned it on yet.

Any thoughts on this humidor for $50. He is about 5 minutes from my office.

humidor.jpg

Disclaimer: what I'm about to say could be way wrong.

That doesn't look like a bad deal for a desktop humi. My only tip would be to not rely on that analog hygrometer. From what I remember reading, unless you spend a ton of money the analog ones are pretty poor and go out of adjustment. Again I could be wrong. But it seems like a good price for the cedar and it has a spot for RH beads.

Well the fridgador is up and running. It's been on for a couple days with a half oz of beads, but I just introduced the hygrometer last night. At the lowest temperature setting I'm getting 60 degrees F and 68% humidity. I'm surprised the humidity is so high, I thought I'd need more beads.

I have one cigar in there! I'm being very careful in my purchases because it's clear I only appreciate milder smokes. I think I'm going to pickup a mild sampler from CI.

Nice Jack. I found a Vinotemp 28 about 1 hour away for $100. I'm going to try to get it this weekend or next week. I also buying the humidor I posted the pic of for $35 this afternoon. I figure once the Vinotemp is up and running, I can keep the humidor in my office.