Humidor recommendations?

postjack

So I'm humidor shopping. Anyone know of a good online retailer? I've been browsing around at Thompson Cigar, and I really like the looks of this one.. Seems to fit the bill: spanish cedar, good size. Hard to know the quality though without holding it in my hands, but I'd like to avoid paying full retail at the local tobacconist if possible. Having said that, I'd rather pay for quality the first time rather then struggling through a bunch of crappy humidors. Where I live its hot and humid most of the year, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno... I just use an igloo cooler for my storage. Tuperware for on the move situations.

I maintain humidity with these: Heartfelt Industries, Heartfelt Cigar Humidor Humidity Beads, Heartfelt Beads, Humidors, Quality Cigar Accessories and distilled water.

It's what my cigar connect rolls with and has served me well. It's not as sexy as a nice looking humidor, but it is functional/cheap/effective. I heard the humidity beads are what they used to use in museums until some enterprising cigar person realized they could be applied to cigars :)

It won't be too big for long, you're obsessive :), plus it's only $250 ish for the vinotemp, and another couple hundred for the spanish cedar shelves, so it's a LOT cheaper than a comparable humidor.

The credo is good at humidifying, but not so good at DEhumidifying.

Not sure about the Credo but as long as you don't make sure the beads aren't oversaturated toooo badly when they go into the humidor/cooler then they'll do a good job of keeping things at the rated humidity level. Like if you get 65 percent and throw them into your container for a day and then check it clocking in at 67 percent then that's probably fine as eventually it'll even down to 65 and then last for like 6 months without needing you to add more water.

See, Dan agrees. :)

It would save money in the long run. ;) Go to a few herfs and shop around, it'll be full in no time. :-P

Hell you don't even NEED to buy the cedar shelving. Your local shop will likely give you empty boxes. That's a good idea either way, the cedar will also help keep the humidity stable. So if you go the cooler route just grab some empties and throw them in there along with the beads. I started out with a little cooler thinking it would be plenty and that idea lasted about 2 weeks.

It won't be too big for long, you're obsessive :)

excellent point.

Not sure about the Credo but as long as you don't make sure the beads aren't oversaturated toooo badly when they go into the humidor/cooler then they'll do a good job of keeping things at the rated humidity level. Like if you get 65 percent and throw them into your container for a day and then check it clocking in at 67 percent then that's probably fine as eventually it'll even down to 65 and then last for like 6 months without needing you to add more water.

OK, DIY it is. I'm going to do a Coolidor using the beads, like described here.

update:

purchased a cheap hygrometer and a boveda calbration kit using an amazon gift certificate.

snag/question:

I'm growing concerned about the temperature of my future stoagie stash. I live in the Deep South, and it is hot son. temperatures in the mid to upper nineties. I keep my home AC at 80 during the day, but even set there it can struggle to maintain 80. At night it's 74, but it has to run for several hours before it's truly at 74 degrees. my understanding is cigars like 65-75 degrees.

so would it be wise for me to try and get a scratch and dent thermoelectric vinotemp on eBay? I could afford a 12 bottle model. this would give me less storage then a comparably priced ice chest.

opinions?

Dont't rely on your hygrometer unless it's NIST certified. Something like an Extech. TEC fridges are great, but depending on your local weather, it might take a little more than just beads to balance out the swings. Something like a brewery thermostat thingy sometimes becomes necessary, but they're only like $80, and I think you only really need them in the desert. Beads are fucking great, but it's way cheaper to buy kitty litter.

Dan's right on the sizing comments. When it comes to humidors, always buy something you think is way too fucking big.

there are a bunch of these Edgestar 28 bottle units for sale on eBay for $200 shipped. they get pretty good reviews overall around the net, the best reviews specifically coming from cigar enthusiasts. I think this is the one.

now all I need is some cigar boxes and humidity beads.