DIY line filter/power condition

mike1127

Has anyone here built a line-filter/power-conditioner kind of thing using RFI suppression capacitors?

K Works makes something like that, the K Works Silencers, but I discovered that they don't use X2/Y2 rated safety capacitors, which you need if you don't want to kill someone via electric shock or fire.

I want to build my own using safety capacitors.

For "across the line" capacitors you need X2 class. This will not catch fire and generally will just trip a fuse if they fail.

For "hot to ground" and "neutral to ground" you need Y2 class. These are guaranteed not to short. They are self-healing and will open if they completely fail.

One might like to use a lot of capacitance, but Y2 capacitors are available at most 4700 pF. On the other hand, X2 capacitors can be obtained up to 10 uF. This stuff can be ordered in qty 1 from Mouser.

Any comments welcome.

Mike

Arcotronics / Kemet Film Suppression Capacitors

Thanks. It looks like a simple project produced good results! The essence of that project is a set of "across the line" noise-suppression capacitors. I imagine it could be improved by adding "line to ground" capacitors, although for safety reasons those are only available in small sizes (4700 pF is the largest). I wonder if ferrites could help, too.

I was looking at the DIY Hydra today. Does anyone know specifically what capacitors they are? Are these the right ones?

In case that link fails for some reason:

Mouser Part #: 667-ECQ-U2A474KV

Manufacturer Part #: ECQ-U2A474KV

Manufacturer: Panasonic

Description: Suppression(Snubber) Film Capacitors .47uF 250V 10%

The Vishay noise suppression capacitors that he discusses (from Mouser) are a Vishay part number F17104101000 and should be these.

Referenced in this text in the article:

For internal wiring of the "DIY Hydra" project, I used 12 gauge cryo treated wire from VH Audio. I purchased the Vishay noise suppression capacitors ($2.31 each) and Littlefuse varistors ($1.13 each) from Mouser Electronics. Let the games begin!

I built the hydra some time ago and still use it in my headphone rig. I also built a larger filter box which I used to run out of my autotransformer - I will see if I can find the link for the plans, it is a simpler version of the John Risch's one mentioned by Pars

..dB

Ok it seems that the web server for that DIY site is history. It was called Triode Systems and had a lot of good information on it back in the day.

I did have a few of the layouts saved on my harddrive so I will attach them here.

The basic idea is a small steel chassis with an AC line in and several AC line outs. Internally there are 2 industrial grade line supressors. They recommended Roxburg units as it was a British web site but I used locally sourced medical grade units ( can't recall the name but I can open the box if people find this info critical ) .

chassis-filter.jpg

Two options for layout are recommended as follows:

chassis-filter-layout.jpg

or

multi-filter.jpg

It works and I convinced myself that I heard a difference at the time, probably because of all the effort I put into making it :D

..dB

Thanks for that info. That'll give me another thing to experiment with. Some people seem to reckon that regular power filters have a negative effect on audio gear. I found plenty of medical grade filters here. I am thinking of building two boxes, one with the regular filters, and one with "audiophile grade" parts, OFC wire etc. and the filter caps, to see what effect each has. At the very least, if it doesn't benefit my gaer, the regular filter box can be used with my computer, as it is somewhat sensitive to lights being switched on and off (causing it to wake from sleep/standby).

Some people seem to reckon that regular power filters have a negative effect on audio gear.

I've heard that from people before. I asked them how or why, and to prove it beyond anecdotal "oh wow, it totally threw a blanket over the speakers", and they shut up pretty freaking quick.

Moreover, Birgir is staunchly in the "no power filter" camp -- I'm sure he could provide you with some solid reasons why.

They aren't needed if there isn't anything to filter. There is so much gear in our homes now which pumps switching noise back onto the mains which why we need filters now but not 30 years ago. Run your audio system on a dedicated line and there isn't anything to filter out. If any of my gear has a switching supply then I run it through an isolation transformer but no filters anywhere.