Windows 7

After waiting for the painfully slow download from MSDN I was able to install the RTM of Windows 7 (ultimate x64 version). I didn't have any blank dvd's around so I installed it from a usb thumb and I really think it's the way to go. The install only took 10-15 minutes.

Some early thoughts on Windows 7, it's definitely snappier than Vista, especially when it comes to UI affects and such. I should mention that 7 had drivers for everything in my laptop which was nice.

I like the new taskbar it's refined and the UI affects actually improve overall usability.

I installed the RC and while I liked it a lot, way more than Vista for sure, the lack of drivers for my graphics card, so it won't go any higher than 60Hz refresh (still using a CRT), made me keep using XP.

Is it possible to download the RTM for the non MSDN subscribers? If so, from where? I've been checking MS Technet site and only keep the RC download, which will end on the 20th.

I installed the RC and while I liked it a lot, way more than Vista for sure, the lack of drivers for my graphics card, so it won't go any higher than 60Hz refresh (still using a CRT)

What graphics card do you have? Windows 7 comes with pretty recent drivers for every ATI and Nvidia card I can think of.

It's an old Radeon 7500 which on XP supports the 100Hz refresh rate so the monitor won't flick at 1152x864. On W7 it just installs generic VGA drivers which won't allow highish refreshing rates, nor my preferred resolution.

I've tried to install several different drivers for Ati cards, almost everything I've been able to find, but most of them simply won't get installed. Some seem to go through, but in the last step, they don't install, so W7 keeps the generic VGA. I keep checking Ati site, but they don't seem to be interested in releasing W7 drivers for such an old GPU.

I'd rather keep using XP than getting a new GPU for this computer :rolleyes:

I'm using windows 7 RTM on my Thinkpad X300. So far, so good. Damn fast and stable, but the windows 7 driver for the lenovo network connections and power manager don't let you use small icon mode with the half-height taskbar, system update doesn't work, and on screen display doesn't show up when you're dimming the display. Even with these minor things, I highly recommend upgrading to windows 7.