Command Line Linux Audio

luvdunhill

Guys, I'm looking for a way to use my trusty Bantam DAC on a pretty minimalistic system running Arch. Requirement is not to be gnome or KDE based and I'd prefer something command-line oriented. Anyone have any experience with the following:

C* Music Player is a very feature-rich ncurses-based music player.

MOC (Music On Console) is an ncurses console audio player with support for the MP3, Ogg, and WAV formats.

ncmpc is a curses client for mpd.

ncmpcpp is an almost exact clone of ncmpc with some new features.

Sonata is an elegant GTK+ music client for mpd.

cplay is a curses front-end for various audio players.

No, but I'll be following this thread with interest. I'd offer to help, but (a) I've got another project I should probably devote some time to first, and (B) if I had my way, it'd be ultra-minimalist -- I.E. command-line input, zero text output. No curses, no nuthin'. In fact, all it'd be able to do is play files, and everything else would have to be done in scripts, cron, find, etc.

Many years ago ... well, about 7 years ago, I had a Pentium 1, 150, running FreeBSD and acting as a headless music player. I basically wrote (in Python) a socket server that would serve up some basic HTML to give me a list of tracks and that would control mpg123 when I clicked one of them. I think it also had a crude queue for track lists. All in all, it was about 100 lines of code, and actually worked reasonably well. The point is that mpg123 might do what you need.

Many years ago ... well, about 7 years ago, I had a Pentium 1, 150, running FreeBSD and acting as a headless music player. I basically wrote (in Python) a socket server that would serve up some basic HTML to give me a list of tracks and that would control mpg123 when I clicked one of them. I think it also had a crude queue for track lists. All in all, it was about 100 lines of code, and actually worked reasonably well. The point is that mpg123 might do what you need.

hm good idea. mpg123 with flac123 using jackd might work for me ..

Have you considered mpd (music player daemon) Music Player Daemon Community Wiki as the back end / server based player

You an use lots of different front ends as clients (Clients - Music Player Daemon Community Wiki) to drive the back end

(just like another software based back end I could think of)

Have you tried contacting ( or inviting) linuxworks from the other place

He has even gone as far as creating Hardware based network client controllers for mpd ...

DIY: MPDmaster/VoluMaster and DAC on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Have you considered mpd (music player daemon) Music Player Daemon Community Wiki as the back end / server based player

You an use lots of different front ends as clients (Clients - Music Player Daemon Community Wiki) to drive the back end

(just like another software based back end I could think of)

Have you tried contacting ( or inviting) linuxworks from the other place

He has even gone as far as creating Hardware based network client controllers for mpd ...

DIY: MPDmaster/VoluMaster and DAC on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This isn't really for any network-based solution, just to avoid bloating my office computer... I suppose I could use mpd with a command line interface though, but that seems pretty overkill...

if you're looking for low complexity, i've found running mplayer with the named pipe flag works the best. it opens a named pipe which you can send text commands into and control it just like you're at a keyboard sending it commands/key strokes. so you can echo/cat/print/etc from scripts or apps into the named pipe to control it. last time i played with mpd (about 8 months ago), it had promise, but i found it kinda fidgety... not unlike squeezecenter... promising but fidgity imho.

mjb

I would second mpd with a front-end, There a gui versions with fairly little dependency requirements. Thought Amarok is probably my favorite linux player. If your using Arch you could use kdemod to get that. That can get you Amarok with minimal bloat. Being that your an arch user, i'm assuming your familiar with it.