Recording

Duggeh

I'm thinking about getting into recording. Portable recorder, maybe make a dummy head. Regular visits to the Younger Hall, field recordings, whatever.

Anyone here into recording? Is there a forum for this sort of thing? Where does one learn which bits of kit are best to buy?

If you want to get started for cheap and don't mind a little DIY, used MiniDisc sounds good (avoid Sony and its cheap MD mic preamps), and if you can't find a pair of A-T's ATR-35S for cheap, you can build your own mics using Panasonic capsules from your local friendly electronics parts stockist.

Another way to go binaural cheap is to use your own dummy head. Works great.

Budget matters
Quoted for emphasis -- that was meant to be a question, I.E. what is your budget? Also, what is it you're trying to record?

And yes, at this point, there is no reason not to go flash-based. MiniDisc was a good budget entry point at the time, but nowadays, flash memory is cheap, and therefore so are the recorders.

There exists a portable DSD recorder -- I intend to have on in my stable before I'm done. I'm guessing (entirely) that this will be one of the better sounding ones. Also, whether or not you intend to record anything beyond stereo is important (there are a couple that can do 4 channels).

Also: H4N advertises itself as doing USB 2.0 -- which implies that there are others besides the H2 and original H4 that don't -- just make sure you check.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went with the Tascam and the 4060 mic set. The head is the best quality mannequin head ( in terms of not being a lump of expanded polystyrene) I could find from a UK seller.

Student radio at the university have expressed an interest in the idea of binaural recording. So I'm excited about what might come of that.

Does anybody have any requests or indeed, suggestions for sounds of Scotland they might like to hear?

Scottish Carillons?

I'm trying to find out if I might get access to the North St clock tower at the Quad. The problem is finding a bloke who knows a bloke who knows a bloke who knows a bloke. The town also has a church with some very pretty bells. I'll be investigating that too.

Ah, brings back memories.

Me: Excuse me.

Chick: Yes?

Me: I couldn't help over-hearing -- you have a very nice voice.

Chick: Thank you.

Me: I actually like to take recordings, do you mind if I record your voice?

Chick: Um...

Me: Please?

Chick: I wouldn't know what to say.

Me: Oh, I'm a minimalist, I'd be perfectly happy with just one word, repeated. Perhaps the word, 'yes'?

So...how about some Scottish chicks?

Or, in lieu of that, how about the shore?