What happened to Country music?

blessingx

Is it just me or has Country music made a rather large shift? I'm a fan, but it's not exactly known for a tradition of embracing the future (not to mention racial harmony, gender equality, modern technology/alternative fuels, harmonious international relations, etc.). A single song, by a not overwhelmingly talented artist, but is this a sign of the genres future? Man, it's like a punk song encouraging love towards the previous generation - 'cause, you know, they tried. Doesn't happen. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JAH_V3gb5c

Country music's always been pretty diverse. Any genre that includes Dolly Parton, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Taylor Swift, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Olivia Newton-John, John Denver, Shania Twain, etc is a pretty broad category. And contrary to what may be thought in big cities, being from flyover country doesn't mean you're a racist dumbass.

I agree even the "sub-genres" within Country can be diverse, and individual obvious examples such as Loretta Lynn and gender imbalances or Steve Earle and judicial racial inequality can be made, but like my Punk comment, each genre has its own subject bias' (imagine a Blues song focused on nuclear submarines). At least contemporary Country (and likely further back) seems (correct me if I'm oversimplifying) to usually be about looking to the core of a personal or cultural past (something that may jive well with certain fans racism, but more directly doesn't point them to "video chats," robots, wind energy and jobs in paleobotany). This is the opposite, no?

Someone name five Country songs primarily about an optimistic future (here, not heaven)? Hell, I can't name five that have anything positive to say about computers. ;)

COuntry music is actually something i used to download a lot back when i was in India. I havea fairly healthy collection actually.

I think country music has some amazing artists and beautiful music. My favorite country music artist is Don Williams.

Highly recommend this CD

album-don-williams-20-greatest-hits.jpg

I think that there are plenty of optimistic country songs. However since country is a direct descendant of the blues, it's not exactly a mystery why a good portion of the tunes are a bit melancholy. If Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown sang only happy tunes, his record sales would be in the toilet. It's our nature to want to know that others are dealing with some of the hardships we endure. Even if they live in a five million dollar home in reality.

The genre is way too diverse to generalize, especially in the last 20 years. If you really scrutinize all genres of music, you'll find that country music is not disproportionate in terms of racism, current events or even trailer park antics. It's the genre that people love to kick around, even while record sales are at an all time high. Garth Brooks is surpassed only by Elvis in record sales for solo artists. That speaks for itself.

Guy Clark - The Cape

Johnny Cash - I Walk the Line

Delbert McClinton - Never Been Rocked Enough

Robert Earl Keen - The 5 Pound Bass

Just about fucking everybody - Tennessee Stud

I think that there are plenty of optimistic country songs. However since country is a direct descendant of the blues, it's not exactly a mystery why a good portion of the tunes are a bit melancholy. If Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown sang only happy tunes, his record sales would be in the toilet. It's our nature to want to know that others are dealing with some of the hardships we endure. Even if they live in a five million dollar home in reality.

The genre is way too diverse to generalize, especially in the last 20 years. If you really scrutinize all genres of music, you'll find that country music is not disproportionate in terms of racism, current events or even trailer park antics. It's the genre that people love to kick around, even while record sales are at an all time high. Garth Brooks is surpassed only by Elvis in record sales for solo artists. That speaks for itself.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Sure there are a ton of optimistic Country songs, but this list is filled with personal optimism (a better relationship, that big fish, etc.), not a cultural optimism towards the future (the country is getting better, modern technology can be good, etc.)? I can't think of five of those (unless you bring in the afterlife, then a ton of Bluegrass). Again it's so often looking back when talking larger.

And sure we can make some generalizations. It wouldn't be a genre, even in contemporary growth, if we couldn't. Even while picking out this songs differences (if anyone agrees with me), it and the video are filled with generalizations. All the flag waving, hats, "my grandpa in WWII", etc. It's Country.

The contemporary scene is what's most interesting. The Blues roots are indeed important to all of this (and trajectory similar), but doesn't it seem in the interest of preserving a "timelessness," (even while diversifying in some aspects), the genre it's increasing looking back? You could make the same claim about Dylan, Prine, etc. too. Modern technology in most of these songs stop at the telephone and automobile still. This song leapfrogs decades forward, no? And says the next discovery could be even greater. The country and world could be better through new solutions, not solely through old values.

Anyway, I'm repeating myself, maybe off my rocker and definitely drunk, but finally I don't think anyone is kicking around Country in this thread. As far as I can tell we're all fans. Really in the end I'm not sure this is any different than when I first heard (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding by the other Elvis. Thought - "This a punk song?"* ;)

* Note: I'm in no way comparing quality.

I think what's really going on in that song is the songwriter just had a "whoa" moment one day, and put it to music. I don't know that it's a particular trend or pattern. I'd never heard this particular song until you posted it, but my finger's not exactly on the pulse of modern country.